Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first post, would like to say hi to everyone here. I have a 2003 mule 3010, and last week one of the relays on the dump box burned up. I replaced it, and it worked ok until today when I woke up the box was up, when I knew that I had left it down when I parked it. I went out to look at it, and the relays and the box that they plug into were burnt into a plastic mess, and the wires going back to the switch were burnt into a ball of copper. I traced what wires I could find back to the switch and the battery, and couldn't see where anything had gone to ground. I've taken the motor off the dump box and it works fine on the work bench using just a battery for power. I have to use a 30 amp fuse to keep the motor running, anything lighter will blow as the switch is turned on. anyone have any thoughts on what direction I can take to fix this the right way. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
For the relay to burn up there must have been a switch problem with a bad contact in the activation switch.

I would start by checking that switch for internal shorting between the up and down position terminals.

For replacement relays I no longer use the light Kawasaki units, but use a pair of generic heavy duty 12 volt relays from NAPA. It is a bit more work as you have to build a mount and do the wiring yourself. But, the cost is very low and the quality is far superior.

I also tossed the OEM activation rocker switch and use two generic starter button switches - one for up, and the other for down. With the push button switches there is no chance of a rocker contact sticking and my not knowing I have a problem. When the button is released the noise quits, so I know for sure that the contact was broken.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RCW,
Thanks for the reply. I hear ya about the relays from the kawasaki dealer, the one I use didn't have any, but could get one from california. I found one at the local auto store for 1/3 the price he was asking. The relays that you use, are they solid state, or the old ignition relay style. I did some searching on the net, and could only find ss. I may go the route you went, but use a different style of switch as I use mine to feed horses and haul wood, and wear gloves, might try a single pole spring return, with a long handle. Thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I use the old solenoid style. NAPA has them, as does Texas Industrial Electric. I use the continuous duty type so they stand up to the abuse of high loads when things are frozen.

I have had extraordinarily poor experience with the solid state type. Burn them up like flashbulbs of old!

·
Registered
442 Posts
This is the Cole Hersee company's home page:
Cole Hersee Co.
Their product line has some good stuff!

Here is a URL of solinoids and there is one for reverseing D.C. motors (winch and lift motors)

scroll down the page:

http://www.colehersee.com/pdf/H-Relays.pdf

here is a schematic for reversing a DC motor using two solenoids from the Colehersee web site and a single pole double throw dash toggle switch:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Called Cole Hersee about a distributer in Michigan, and there was one right here where I live. Called them, and they had 2 solenoids in stock, used my friends business contacts, and got them for $26.00 ea. Went to another place, and got a heavy duty switch, new wire, and will attack the mule today.
The relays are alittle heavy, so I will fab a mounting plate for them. RCW,okieduc104, Thanks for the help, and contacts for getting what I needed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.