Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad's 2008 Mule 3101 4x4 is having intermittent running problems which seem very related to the fuel pump system. It runs fine for extended periods, then dies, and will not re-start until it cools off.
The fuel filter was replaced but that made no difference.
Now just lately, we discovered that the fuel pump is really hot to the touch even when the key is turned off. We finally disconnected the battery.
I called the Kawasaki dealer here and they said to replace the fuel pump first and see if it still gets hot and if it does it may be a relay or two causing the problem. I guess it may be a short in the fuel pump, but they don't see why it would get hot with the key off.

Should I go ahead and replace the fuel pump ($200 !?)...or are there relays or something else I should check first? Any good online sources for those fuel pumps?

And yes, I have ordered the service manual but it hasn't arrived yet.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions...

·
Registered
6 Posts
My dad's 2008 Mule 3101 4x4 is having intermittent running problems which seem very related to the fuel pump system. It runs fine for extended periods, then dies, and will not re-start until it cools off.
Now just lately, we discovered that the fuel pump is really hot to the touch even when the key is turned off. We finally disconnected the battery.
I called the Kawasaki dealer here and they said to replace the fuel pump first and see if it still gets hot and if it does it may be a relay or two causing the problem. I guess it may be a short in the fuel pump, but they don't see why it would get hot with the key off.

Should I go ahead and replace the fuel pump ($200 !?)...or are there relays or something else I should check first? Any good online sources for those fuel pumps?

Did you get your fuel pump problem sorted out? I found the illustration of the fuel pump and surrounding parts on kawasakiepc.com but when I matched up the (relay,fuel cut) to my actual machine...they are different. Unless I'm not looking at something right, which of course, is always a possibility. Is there anyone here who's got the same Mule (2500 4x4) and can shed some light?

Just noticed something: The series/model # is KAF620-A2 taken from my certificate of origin and it's a 2500 4x4...but in the illustration it says it's a 2510. Would that make a difference maybe?

Thanks for any help.

Rancher

·
needs more free time
16 Posts
The 2500 is 4x2 and the 2510 is 4x4. There is no difference other than driveline. They both have the same engine.

I have a 2510 and replaced my fuel pump with one from a Ninja (I forget which model) I bought it used on ebay ($35)and it was basically the same pump other than the wire connector and it had 3/8" inlet instead of a 1/4".

Kevin

·
Registered
6 Posts
Be danged...I've been calling my 4x4 a 2500, but you are certainly right!
I just looked on the 1996 receipt and it does say 2510. What I was hoping to do is check the relay (fuel cut) just in case that's the problem before I jumped on the pump.

The illustration for the relay I mention in the other post shows a rectangle box shape held with a single screw with a three wire plug coming out one side. I haven't been able to locate that particular item on my machine...was hoping to find a cross reference # to maybe find one locally. Obviously I'm not a mechanic but this looked pretty easy when I started....!

Thanks,
Rancher

·
Registered
444 Posts
Be danged...I've been calling my 4x4 a 2500, but you are certainly right!
I just looked on the 1996 receipt and it does say 2510. What I was hoping to do is check the relay (fuel cut) just in case that's the problem before I jumped on the pump.

The illustration for the relay I mention in the other post shows a rectangle box shape held with a single screw with a three wire plug coming out one side. I haven't been able to locate that particular item on my machine...was hoping to find a cross reference # to maybe find one locally. Obviously I'm not a mechanic but this looked pretty easy when I started....!

Thanks,
Rancher
The Kawasaki Repair Manual for your machine has a good section on troubleshooting the fuel system and the fuel pump.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Kawasaki Repair Manual for your machine has a good section on troubleshooting the fuel system and the fuel pump.
Thanks for the reply...yes, I tried to find one on the Kawasaki site, but it kept timing out. I'll try again. My main worry was that the illustration I found on line is different than my machine and I really didn't want to spend $60. and find the same illustration in the repair manual.

Anyway thanks everyone.

Rancher

·
needs more free time
16 Posts
There are downloadable service manuals available on ebay. I bought mine from Midwest Manuals for $5-$6. They send u an email with a link to download it plus they mail you a cd. It's in PDF format and searchable. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ha! I'd buy two at that price...got the link to download the manual but have to wait until 11pm so that I don't freak out my satellite connection.
Thanks everyone for your help.

Rancher

·
Registered
444 Posts
Ha! I'd buy two at that price...got the link to download the manual but have to wait until 11pm so that I don't freak out my satellite connection.
Thanks everyone for your help.

Rancher
I hope it works out ok. I bought the download for $9.95 and it is a 100% copy of the paperback one sent with my mule. The PDF file has all the ADOBE PDF features. Quite well done. Much better than the Detroit Iron CD I bought with the literature for my 68 Impala.

I understand the problems with a satellite connection. DSL is often the same way out here in the boonies, it is thru the independent telephone company that has no competition. but they do pretty good,. better than my brother's service in DFW that costs him 49.99/month, but it costs $49 plus $10 rental for a modem and another $10 for "service" etc., etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
All is coming together, now that I found the relay is clear on the other side of the frame, no where near the fuel pump! Who woulda thought?
Sure like the manual (download went easy) just wish I had a bigger screen.

The only choices I have are satellite or dial-up....I could never go back to dial-up! Just got to get my Mule running before the snow flys. The plow and a set of chains save my life every year. I've never been very 'nice' to the Mule, it's worked hard and been a great vehicle. Hopefully in a year I'll be where it never gets below freezing (good plan, huh?).

Rancher

·
Registered
444 Posts
Good plan indeed, I live where we have a freeze or two per year, and it is nice to see a pretty snowfall, don't last long and we need the moisture, bad thing is that we have to cut grass 9 months

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this was awhile ago

never use a shop I just changed my fuel pump for 19$ easy as pie .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts