Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older mule KAF620B. (90's) After you go about an 1/8 to 1/4 mile the mule just quits running. Sometimes you can catch it before it quits by shifting it into N and pulling out the choke and giving it some gas. Mostly it just quits. Usually you can just start it back up and go on your merry way. Other times you have to let it sit for about 5 minutes before you can start it again. Needless to say we don't go far from home because you never know when it will quit. We have a new fuel pump on it. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Check the fuel tank vent for a dirt dobber blockage. 1/4 of a mile is a long way to get on just the fuel in the carburetor bowl. It sounds like the pump quits working after the fuel tank gets vaccumed to the point the pump can't take in any more fuel and then it runs out of gas. The engine shutting down lets the tank pull in a few precious seconds with of air to relieve some of that vacuum. Once under way again you begin re-vacuuming the tank until the vacuum overwhelms the pump once again starving the engine for fuel again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It could also be that your fuel pump is bad and is pumping oil into your carb and gas into your oil sump. That might necessitate you replacing the fuel pump,

·
Registered
48 Posts
My suggestion is to check your in-line fule filter. My '97 Mule 2510 has recurring problems with rust flakes developing in the fuel tank and, eventually, clogging the filter. This results in intermittent stalling if/when the rust "clog" allows fuel to flow to the carb. Just a thought.
Brad

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Next time it just stalls, pull the plug wire and check it for spark. If that is good, then remove your fuel cap enough so it is loose and see if that solves the problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts