Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son parked the mule on our hill pointing downhill. He went to use it and it cranked but did not start. After draining the battery we rolled it to a flat spot. Charged the battery but now it wont crank and acts like the battery is not hooked up at all. Lights dont work etc.

Of course it rained and I think it may be electrical. Any i deas? Oil level is fine. Any way to bypass switches to get it up the hill where I can work out of the mud? Thanks guys

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeah, the mule was parked on the flat spot the night it rained. I say this because in the past it was hard starting when parked on a hill.
Is this a low oil condition? Thanks

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Check your battery connections and make sure they are free of corrosion and dry.

I have seen fuses blow when well used Mules are left in the rain and the key switches get wet inside. Dust collects in the switch and then gets wet and makes a decent connector that takes the juice to ground.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You think I can by pass the ignition switch so I can ge it to a dry spot in my shop? Im thinking take the wires off the key switch and jump then to get started. Its tough to work on it where it is.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
If it does not turn out to be the safety switch, then the simplest way to move one is to pop the drive belt off and tow or push it. The ignition switch has four or five wires, depending on the year and model, and if you are working without a repair manual and get the wrong one to ground you can fry your CDI.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think that might be it. It has been tempermental in the past.
Can you tell me where to find it?
Thanks a bunch

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Woudn't the lights work if the ignition were on though? They are not and I cant hear the meter running either. I did check the fuses they look OK

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
The neutral safety switch should be located down on the side of the transmission, about half way below where the levers stick out of the top of the housing, and sticking out at a 45 or so degree angle. You will see the wiring.

I would think you should have power to everything but the relays for the starting and ignition systems, even with the gear selector in gear. They are generally so trouble free in the electrical system that it has been quite a while since I saw this problem.

My first step would be to start tracing the power from the battery through the harness and the relays. Stay on the hot wire though, and use a good multimeter. You do not want to accidentally kick power down the wrong wire.

I would focus on the hot lead from the battery and that first junction where it connects to the next hot feed group. I have seen these fail from corrosion right at that connection point when they are used in salt marshes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tumperacres and RCW thanks for all your insight. It turns out the 30 Amp
fuse located in the middle of the fuse box was blown! Thought I checked it
and it looked good but my teenage son said "check with a flashlight".
Sure enough 30 Amp needed replacement. My hunch is he swapped + and -
when he first installed the battery! Bless his heart he's trying. Anyway
I was glad not to WALK that grade with my tools and spare battery again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts