Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Mule that I think needs linkage adjustment. Shifting from low to reverse it doesn't always engage. In the past it always made a narly grinding sound from nuetral to forward or reverse if I didn't wait long enough for idle down. I know you need to be patient for idle down.

Now it seems to just barely purr into gear. Thats if it goes into gear.
When it is in gear it seems to run fine but sometimes pops out of gear.

Any ideas? Can someone tell me how to adjust linkage to get that narly grind again? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Check your cable adjustments to be sure they are fully engaging the levers on the transmission. Unfortunately, it does not take that many times of grinding it into gear for the engagement dogs to wear out, they are just not made for that kind of use. So, it is possible that if you have been relying on the grind to tell you it is shifting, you may have kissed the transmission off!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cable adjustment under the bed? Any instruction on adjustment?
I dont have a repair manual and it's not in the owners manual.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Under the bed, and use common sense. It is about as difficult as adjusting your lawnmower. Your owner's manual lists the idle speed and belt tension specifications that need to be checked/set before screwing with the cables.

I would not touch one of these without a repair manual, it contains very good instructions and photos of the components that cannot be effectively listed here, and they are inexpensive as compared to trashing your transmission - which I view as the alternative!

Just pop up to the top of the page and click on Beartooth's logo and go order a manual, or if you are strapped do a search on the web for the cheap alternatives.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts