Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find it curious that people will spend literally thousands of dollars on a motorcycle yet will not think enough to purchase a $17.00 Maintenance Manual for their specific Motorcycle. The Maintenance manual answers more questions than most people could even read about on the forum in a full month of reading...not only which plugs, what color wires, bulbs, specs on coolants, oils, how to make certain adjustments and where, ANybody that doesn't have a Maintenance Manual (not a Service Manual or Owners Manual) for their motorcycle should order one from Beartooth Kawasaki and get he 10% Discount. I was asked this evening if there was small print associated with this Discount....NO there is not ANY small print...you get a 10% Discount! The Maintenance Manual is worth every cent that you spend on it...Please, if you don't have one ask someone that has one if it is a gimmick, or for real...I'm a Forum user just like you people are and if you don't have one then you don't know what you are missing. It is a "MUST HAVE" item.

·
Registered
272 Posts
You mean we can preform maintenance on our bikes instead of having the dealer do the work :shock: :D :wink: :wink:

I'm going to get one after payday 8)

·
Registered
458 Posts
ZX-2R said:
I find it curious that people will spend literally thousands of dollars on a motorcycle yet will not think enough to purchase a $17.00 Maintenance Manual for their specific Motorcycle.

ANybody that doesn't have a Maintenance Manual (not a Service Manual or Owners Manual) for their motorcycle should
I agree, but that's me. Some folks don't want anything to do with the workings of their bike. Gas and go. I had a MSF instructor who has 100's of thousands of miles under his belt say he doesn't do work on his motorcycles.

However, it probably a safe bet that anyone on this forum is at least interested to some extent.

I do have question.

I have a 2004 and want a "Maintenance Manual". Where do I get one? Kawasaki only sells Owners manuals for $10.95 and Service Manuals for $49.95. These prices are for a Mean Streak.

I doubt that Haynes or Clymers has 2004 manauals out yet. They still didn't have one for a 2001 VN800, as of a month ago.

For what it's worth. The Mean Streak manual has the periodic maintenance in the front section of the Service Manual, in great detail. I'm guessing that's what the mecahnics go by when you pay your $250 for your 600 mile service. :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Me sent beartooth a e-gram asking about getting one from them.

Why not try you to :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OWNERS and Maintenance Manuals

I ordered the Owners Manual and the Maintenance Manual for a Ninja250R and skipped the expensive Service manual. I don't want to go inside and replace transmission gears and all of that ...the Maintenance manual gives you specs for things that you should do to your bike all of the time...how much torque for a spark plug, for a rear axle nut, for every tut and bolt on your bike...it gives part numbers capacities for bilters cooling systems oil systems, wiring chart, it is a very detailed book telling you exactly how to replace sprockets and how toight to tighten which bolts...checking brakes and how tight, what specs on brake fluid lots of things...

·
Registered
458 Posts
Re: OWNERS and Maintenance Manuals

ZX-2R said:
I ordered the Owners Manual and the Maintenance Manual for a Ninja250R and skipped the expensive Service manual.
Did Beartooth give you a choice between a Service Manual and a Maintenance Manual?

Unless Beartooth prints their own, Kawasaki only offers the Service Manual and Owners Manual.

The items you describe as in a "Maintenance Manual" are exactly what is in the Service Manual.

I have an Service Manual for my bike. It clearly states SERVICE MANUAL on the cover.

Are you saying I can get a MAINTENANCE MANUAL also, from Beartooth?
I better email or call. My guess is that it is semantics, and they are one in the same.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OOPS

YOu are correct...I skipped another manual...Mine does specifically say"Motorcycle Service Manual." My MISTAKE! It's awesome if yo have one you know what I mean! It's vey detailed...

·
Registered
458 Posts
Re: OOPS

ZX-2R said:
It's awesome if yo have one you know what I mean! It's vey detailed...
You are right. The Service manual is quite detailed, but if you plan to do any work on your ride, it's well worth it. Even if you don't, it tells you what some of the dodads are that the owners manual doesn't address. A lot of the work that needs to be done or may pop up can be done with the tool kit. Folks can do the easy stuff themselves and save money, as well as not tying up the bike for a day or two at the dealer.

The Service manual for my 1600 Marauder was $75. Quite a shock after paying $30 for my VN800 manual. Also, I saw on the Kawasaki site that the MeanStreak manual was $50. Suzuki gets a lot of extra cash to just add a Suzuki/Kawasaki part number cross reference chart and stick their name on the cover. Either that or my dealer was ripping me. Hard to tell since Suzuki's web site is so bad. You think they would have parts diagrams on line. Sell manuals and such. Kawasaki has their sh_t together.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts