Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently upgraded to a Mustang seat and placed the quiet core baffles in my Cobra Speedster shorts. I have a 2006 900 classic with a BAK and FI2000. I wanted the baffles for the added back pressure and the deeper tone. They did quiet the pipes a little more than I had hoped for but they have actually almost completely eliminated the popping on deceleration. I have had to keep my FI2000 tuned way down but now I am going to try and open it back up.

I added the mustang seat for the wifes sake. It does push you forward some. It might add some height as well but not a big difference there. The biggest difference seams to be that you sit forward more on the seat so you are actually in a narrower section of the seat. I would like to move back some more on the seat but there are other fixes for that.

Overall I have mixed feelings about these mods because they definitely accomplished the upgrade in the areas I wanted but also cut back in a couple areas I wanted to keep. I think after time I will like them. I do not do well with change I guess.

Pretty soon Ill be working on getting some forward controls, Ape Hangers, and a sissy bar for the wifes back. Took care of the toosh first. Getting some highway pegs as well.

I will post some comparison pics below.

You'll notice that the original baffles in the speedster shorts are hollow and the quiet core have a plate in the middle as well as being closed off on one end. I wonder if I could have achieved the back pressure by just adding a plate to the middle of the originals.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Heres another pic of the baffles side by side and one of my kids at the zoo today with a hippopotamus. Thats ones just there because its awesome.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Spang, I just replaced my stock seat on my 2010 Classic LT with the Mustang. I didn't have 200 miles on the stock seat and refused to ride another mile with it. When I bought the Mustang I took my stock seat with me to a place that had the Mustang in stock and made the same side by side comparison you show in the picture. My judgment was that the Mustang was about the same as the stock seat in that comparison. When you first sit on the Mustang the first reaction is that it pushes you forward. That may just be a perception because the Mustang is so much more supportive(stiffer) than the stock and you immediately feel the back support of the pillion. Also the "horn" of the stock seat rides up on the tank more giving the impression you are more forward on the Mustang because you see less of the Mustang seat when on the bike . Whatever. The Mustang IS the seat for the 900.

·
Registered
116 Posts
You WILL NOT regret the Mustang Seat once you have the chance to ride with it for a while.

As far as the baffles, I cant help you.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, My kids love the zoo. And the seat I'm pretty sure Ill love it just different right now. But with some apes and hopefully one day some forward controls maybe a lowering kit and a 21" front wheel it will be all good. I hate how the upgrade bug got ahold of me.

·
Dust off your bike & ride
160 Posts
I recently upgraded to a Mustang seat and placed the quiet core baffles in my Cobra Speedster shorts. I have a 2006 900 classic with a BAK and FI2000. I wanted the baffles for the added back pressure and the deeper tone. They did quiet the pipes a little more than I had hoped for but they have actually almost completely eliminated the popping on deceleration. I have had to keep my FI2000 tuned way down but now I am going to try and open it back up.

I added the mustang seat for the wifes sake. It does push you forward some. It might add some height as well but not a big difference there. The biggest difference seams to be that you sit forward more on the seat so you are actually in a narrower section of the seat. I would like to move back some more on the seat but there are other fixes for that.

Overall I have mixed feelings about these mods because they definitely accomplished the upgrade in the areas I wanted but also cut back in a couple areas I wanted to keep. I think after time I will like them. I do not do well with change I guess.

Pretty soon Ill be working on getting some forward controls, Ape Hangers, and a sissy bar for the wifes back. Took care of the toosh first. Getting some highway pegs as well.

I will post some comparison pics below.

You'll notice that the original baffles in the speedster shorts are hollow and the quiet core have a plate in the middle as well as being closed off on one end. I wonder if I could have achieved the back pressure by just adding a plate to the middle of the originals.
Which Mustang seat did you go with? When you say you sit forward in the seat more are your ***** rubbing on the tank? I am thinking of getting a new seat ad what you have described does not sound good to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts