Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First things first I have a 03 Means Streak Everything stock but the Exhaust and Air intake. Got a new seat and 16" Kongs on order.

OK so I got my new 2 piece mustang seat in today. I put the front piece on and was pleasantly surprised that the bike looks good with out the second piece so when I don't plan to have a passenger I can take off the second seat.

How ever I was unsure of the feel of the seat as it felt like it moved me back a bit which I was prepared for, but it also felt like it lowered me as well, because my knees felt higher. I was thinking that I would get Jardins forward controls but opted not to cause the seat would move me back and wasn't sure if 6 inches forward would be to much but now I am not sure. I am 6'2" with a 33" inseam and am worried that I wont reach comfortably. Comments please.

Next question is that the new mustang seat feels real stiff compared to my stock one Does it soften up when it breaks in or is it something I will get used to Cause i have a bit of a bony A$$.

Please advise I am working diligently to make this bike comfortable and still look good.

·
Vulcan 1600 Classic
490 Posts
I purchased a Mustang seat and had to return it. . . . Did not like the feel of it and it felt like I was sitting on the tank. Pushed me too far forward!

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts
Yes the seat will soften up and mould to your butt, after abouit 1000 miles of saddle time is accumulated. Usually, most people find that the new Mustang seat will have them seated about ½" higher, guess it depends on the model you chose, or how your Mean Streak is made compared to my Classic.
I found I had to reach for my handlebars a bit more with the Stang seat, so I installed 4" risers with 1½" pull back, which solved the problem. On my bike, the 2 piece Mustang seat with driver backrest is a million times better than the stock seat. I find I don't have to stop for leg stretches as often (maybe every 2 hours now, compared to every ½ hour with the stock)

·
Needs More Cowbell
11,774 Posts
I can't help you with the Meanstreak seating position, but can assure you the Mustang seat will soften and conform to your butt after several hundred miles or so. You'll never go back to the stocker.

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
Next question is that the new mustang seat feels real stiff compared to my stock one Does it soften up when it breaks in or is it something I will get used to Cause i have a bit of a bony A$$.

Please advise I am working diligently to make this bike comfortable and still look good.
I have close to 30K on my Mustang seat and I still love it. Yes it does feel a bit firm, but that is part of what makes it work. You don't get the pressure points. Plus even when your butt gets to hurting you can recover faster and ride again.

mustang seats feel weird to me to....a lot of people swear by em after they get used to em
The king of weird speaks. LMAO Did you get a Mustang on the Nomad?

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have had a Mustang on my meanie for the last 4 years. It took me about 2 rides to get used to it, it is softer than when I got it and I can ride all day now compared to less than 2 hours with the stock seat. And yes it is lower, but I like that. I am about your height as well and I too am looking for Jardines but at 600$ it may take a while to get them!

Enjoy!

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts
I have had a Mustang on my meanie for the last 4 years. It took me about 2 rides to get used to it, it is softer than when I got it and I can ride all day now compared to less than 2 hours with the stock seat. And yes it is lower, but I like that. I am about your height as well and I too am looking for Jardines but at 600$ it may take a while to get them!

Enjoy!
I'm only an hour away from you, but on the Ontario side. Maybe we could hook up for a ride this summer. I'm near Hawkesbury Ont. :D

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm only an hour away from you, but on the Ontario side. Maybe we could hook up for a ride this summer. I'm near Hawkesbury Ont. :D
Less than that, I'm on the west island! Any time! We meet up out near the Timmy's by St Anne's on the 40/417 about 30 minutes from the Hawk! I ride with a great bunch from the CMC

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts
Less than that, I'm on the west island! Any time! We meet up out near the Timmy's by St Anne's on the 40/417 about 30 minutes from the Hawk! I ride with a great bunch from the CMC
That sounds great, I'll pm you my home email and phone number. I use to go to Pete's Smoke meat, in Baie D'urfé. Best smoke meat and fries I've ever had. Didn't make it there last year, but I plan on taking the boys from Ottawa there this season.
I didn't know Montreal had a CMC. I am a member of the CMC in Ottawa, but I have never joined them for a ride. I have a few biker friends from Ottawa that ride with me too, and they're a great bunch of guys. (all vulcan riders) not that that's important or makes a differnce....I'll ride with anyone on 2 wheels....as long as it's done safely.
Are you planning any long trips on bike this summer ? (2 or more days)
I'm retired, so I'm free to go just about anytime, except for bad weather.
Look forward to meeting you. :wink:

·
2x the bike for 1/2 the $
1,175 Posts
You will like it. Luckily for me, mine came with the seat already broken in when i bought it. I threw the stocker on once just to see how it felt and holy hellz my arse hurt after a couple hours. I can sit on that mustang alllllll day long without one complaint from my rear. :)

..and you just cant argue with the looks when you're using it in the solo setup.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I, too, suffer from B.A.S. (Bony A$$ Syndrome). Although the Mustang is much better than the stock seat, after a couple hours my backside is aching, but after a 10 or 15 minute stretch I'm good to go for another couple hours. I'm thinking about getting an Airhawk or at least a sheepskin to add to it.

·
Threadjacker
111 Posts
I have to say that I really don't mind the stock seat. Although I haven't been on any really long rides yet, I rode from Lavon, TX to Austin, TX (about 250 mi & 4 hrs) with just one mandatory stop for fuel. Wouldn't have stopped otherwise. Butt felt fine. I regularly spend 3-4 hours pedaling my mountain bike offroad with a 4" wide hard leather seat crammed up my a$$. Now THAT thing hurts. The stock MS seat feels like a featherbed in comparison. Alas, I'll have to replace it anyway because the wife b1tches about the pillion (can't blame her)...:lol:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The wife and some back support were the motivating factors to my seat change. but as some one said you have to be in shape for long rides and i am not. But once i get my apes (waiting on Galpher) and forward controls I will rectify that.

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts
I have to say that I really don't mind the stock seat. Although I haven't been on any really long rides yet, I rode from Lavon, TX to Austin, TX (about 250 mi & 4 hrs) with just one mandatory stop for fuel. Wouldn't have stopped otherwise. Butt felt fine. I regularly spend 3-4 hours pedaling my mountain bike offroad with a 4" wide hard leather seat crammed up my a$$. Now THAT thing hurts. The stock MS seat feels like a featherbed in comparison. Alas, I'll have to replace it anyway because the wife b1tches about the pillion (can't blame her)...:lol:
I guess it comes down to your age, how much hard saddle time you got in, as well as the year of your bike. The newer models seem to have a more comfortable seat, then again, maybe not. I have some guys that ride with me with newer bikes and stock seats, that want to stop for a "leg stretch-smoke-drink-or pee" every half hour to 45 minutes. I believe that Kawi make a seat that will appear to be comfortable, soft and cushiony for the show room, cause new riders will automatically say, "oh that is soooo soft and comfortable". However, once purchased, they end up doing 500 miles on the same seat, with only gas fill up breaks, and their tune may change a bit. Even my Mustang seat took about 600 miles, before I got comfortable with it. The more saddle time you get, the more comfortable the seat gets......that simple. Usually, come mid-summer, my butt is hardened up enough to endure an iron butt.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have to say that I really don't mind the stock seat. Although I haven't been on any really long rides yet, I rode from Lavon, TX to Austin, TX (about 250 mi & 4 hrs) with just one mandatory stop for fuel. Wouldn't have stopped otherwise. Butt felt fine. [...]:
I think you just re-defined the term "iron butt." :eek:

·
2x the bike for 1/2 the $
1,175 Posts
I believe that Kawi make a seat that will appear to be comfortable, soft and cushiony for the show room, cause new riders will automatically say, "oh that is soooo soft and comfortable". However, once purchased, they end up doing 500 miles on the same seat, with only gas fill up breaks, and their tune may change a bit. Even my Mustang seat took about 600 miles, before I got comfortable with it. The more saddle time you get, the more comfortable the seat gets......that simple.
I agree. Stock seat is made with cheap 'cushy' foam which feels 'broken in' from the start, but then quickly 'breaks down' with use. Mustang seats on the other hand are expensive foam which 'feels like it'll break your butt' from the start, but then 'breaks in' and feels cushy and wonderful with use, and (judging from mine which has almost 20k miles of use) just keeps on feeling wonderful.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts