Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Hoping some of you will be able to help. I just bought a 1995 VN1500A with the intentions of restoring it. It has no fire going to the plugs, a slow turnover, and the headlight will not turn on. The batter is brand new (3 days old) and is showing a reading of 15.62V. When testing it and while trying to start I get an initial reading of 13, then 11, then 8 as it slowly drains the battery. I have also checked the starter relay and it seems to be working properly. Any advice you guys could give me on this would be greatly appreciated. Also, I have 2 wires (white/blue, and yellow/black) disconnected by the battery box and they run all the way into the headlight bucket and are unplugged there. the white/blue wire seems to be connected to power somewhere in between because its giving me a "15.something"V reading. while the yellow/black gives no reading. The fuel pump seems to be inactive too. I hear no noise when I turn the key to the "on" position. I ordered a new one thinking it would be best to go ahead and replace it but the knew one is doing the exact same thing. I've ordered a Clymer's manual but hoping you guys could give me some info to try to trouble shoot these issues while I wait for it to arrive next week. Thanks in advance for any help and information you guys can offer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The fuel pump only comes on when the carb needs more gas. My 1996 does the same thing. When I drained the carbs, the pump started running the minute you switch it on, because the carbs were empty. If it is full when you turn it on the pump will not run until the carb needs more fuel. hope this helps you. I learned this the hard way, i also changed the pump, all for nothing.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I recommend you disconnect and clean every electrical connection you can find and get to. Remove as much stuff as needed. Also 15.62 volts is too high. Your meter is suspect. The meter might need a new battery. I discovered that my multimeter would read voltage at higher than actual when it needed a new battery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The fuel pump only comes on when the carb needs more gas. My 1996 does the same thing. When I drained the carbs, the pump started running the minute you switch it on, because the carbs were empty. If it is full when you turn it on the pump will not run until the carb needs more fuel. hope this helps you. I learned this the hard way, i also changed the pump, all for nothing.
I changed the pump earlier just to be sure. I appreciate the info though. Good to know!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I recommend you disconnect and clean every electrical connection you can find and get to. Remove as much stuff as needed. Also 15.62 volts is too high. Your meter is suspect. The meter might need a new battery. I discovered that my multimeter would read voltage at higher than actual when it needed a new battery.
Just changed the battery in it and it’s ready 13.2v with the ignition switch on. I changed the ignition coils and the plug wires and charged the battery on the bike and now I have a slightly faster turn over and the headlight is now coming on when hit the start switch. But still no spark to the plugs. I’m going to start cleaning all of the connections tomorrow. Thanks for the advice!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts