Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a 2007 kawasaki ninja ex 250 with only 217 miles. I got it last weekend. It had been sitting for quite a while before I bought it.

Right after getting it, I changed the oil, drained the fuel tank and added new fuel, and replaced the spark plugs.

It wouldn't start so we fiddled around and I eventually got it to start.
However, it dies at idle (today is 50 degrees outside), even with some choke. The throttle feels less responsive. We pulled one of the spark plug wires out of my friend's Honda Rebel and it sounded similar (slower firing rate)
The exhaust emits a very strong scent of unburnt fuel.

I'm not sure where to start and I hope you guys can lead me somewhere. I suspect that it could be something wrong with the carb, but I'm not sure what. It could also be a sparking problem, possibly with the coils.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
On a bike that new and low mileage, I doubt there is a coil problem but anything is possible. The more likely problem with all that sitting would be varnish buildup in the carbs. You could try adding some Seafoam to the fuel and run a tank or two of that through it and see if that solves it but it's probably going to require the carbs to be removed, dismantled, and completely cleaned. Install new plugs while you're at it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts