Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1980 kawasaki LTD 550.....I currently purchased the bike....its in mint condition for it ager and ran fine....I drove her on the highway a few times well over 75 mph....I currently notice a odd sounds whe the bike was on. When I purchased it but didn't pay anymind to it since it was running fine....I told my mechanic to come take a look at it and when he did he automatically pointed out the problem...the cylinder to the left was not firing it was only running on 3 cylinders....how ever the bike turned on idled fine and ran with power.....no smokee was coming out the mufflers...he checked to c if all spark plugs had spark and they did...can someone help me out pleaseee!!!! I have no idea what it can be

·
Registered
522 Posts
More than likely the carb on that pot isn't working right m8 maybe it's fuel-level too low or non-existent (stuck float-needle valve maybe). If it's not even ticking-over on number 1 then it's unlikely that all jet-systems are actually clogged up.

Could be a valve or compression issue with that pot too, though i notice you gave more info on the other post in Touring :wink:.

There are hundreds of posts about the above and more if you have a search around here.

·
Registered
359 Posts
PS: on an unrelated note.... replace the rear brake shoes if their age cannot be positively identified. The lining glue gets old - if the lining comes off, it can jam/lock the rear wheel. It happened to me.
That's worrysome, what about older disk brake pads? Is there a similar issue?

·
Registered
522 Posts
I remember Yamaha had a problem with brake-pad failiures in the EXUP era, late 80s to mid 90s, the friction material separated from the back-plate.
Also i worked on a GPZ500 last year where the pads and plate separated due to corrosion (despite a late effort by a leaky fork-seal to help).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts