Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone i got a problem with the my motorcycle. I recently bought it used from a lady who was using it regularly before me. I decided to buy it. So now i have a problem with the choke and whatnot. If i want to start the bike i turn the choke on all the way and start it and its fine warms up and idles at like 7.5-8rpm then i turn it down halfway wen its warmed up a lil bit and start riding. but what i noticed is however much im riding it i can never turn the choke off completely or the bike will die 100% of the time. so i ride around with half choke on. And i changed the gas so i got fresh gas and im going to try the seafoam. But could it be something else? thanks!

·
Need Time To Ride
3,247 Posts
Check all hoses and the carb boots for vacuum leaks; those carbs won't tolerate even the slightest leak. Run a shock dose (2oz/gal fuel) of Berryman's Chemtool B-12 or Seafoam in the fuel tank and see if the carb pilot circuits clears up after a tankfull.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thanks i guess ill try those out. Also the bike only has 3600 miles on it aswell. How do i clean the carbs? or adjust the valves? im a complete newbie haha sorry. And no i didnt try the idle. should i do that first?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
On a side note, don't let it warm up on full choke. 2500 rpms is about where you want to be. 7500 is WAY too fast. And keep in mind that the engine will idle low until it's warmed up, so adjust your idle and see if that alleviates it. It should idle at 1300 when fully hot. Mine idles around 800-900 if I start it cold with no choke.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmm i see ok ill try out the idle but which way do i turn the knob? and the thing is the cold or hot gauge is it supposed to be all the way to the hot side. cuz mine kinda goes more than halfway to the H side but soimetimes randomly drops below the halfway line?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Clockwise will increase idle speed.

Fluctuations in the temp guage are normal. If it actually gets TO the red, shut it down, otherwise let it take care of itself. When it's cold after sitting overnight, open the radiator cap and make sure it's full to the rim with coolant. Also check the overflow bottle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts