Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this weekend my son was able to ride his 360 again. we've bought several parts for the quad since the fire, but our throttle cable hasn't come in yet. so my dad tied a string to the burned end of the old cable and my son rode it down the driveway and back pulling a string.
all the wiring was burned on the quad, and that's were most of the time is being spend figuring out the wiring. their first obstacle was to figure out that the kill switch was still on so they had to get it off to get the motor to start. after they did that it turned over the first time.
looks like this story is going to have a happy ending.

·
Registered
14 Posts
360 prarie

Your dad must be quite the fellow if he was able to sort through that burned out mess ! If it's running now will you be able to get by without a new wiring harness ? Sounds like most of the repair money was going for cosmetics. If thats the case you can fix as you go and still ride while you fix.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
our biggest cost would have been the oil cooler, $800+, the frame $500+, and the harness, i think it was a little less than $300. then like you said the rest is cosmetic. i had an initial estimate from our kawasaki dealer of $2050 part and it wasn't half the parts and $895 labor. we'd spent more than a new bike if we'd went that route.

my dad really is a pretty smart dude, he worked as a millwright at the papermill in the 60's, had a chicken farm and built houses in the 70's, worked at a machine shop in the 80's. and started building motorcycles 2 years ago, when he built himself a custom chopper with a harley motor. he built the frame himself. if he had an engineer's degree he'd been unstoppable. there's really nothing that he's never been not able to do.
lightening struck his work shop last june and burned it and over $300,000 in machineing tools and general tools, a full restruant kitchen to the ground. he just about hung his hat up over that, but he's rebuilt the shop (50'X60") for less than $10,000, he has a friend with a junk yard and got all his beams and steel inexpensive. it's sided with insulated siding. it's really nice. then he built my sister a ultima bike kit.

this is probably so much more than you wanted to know. my i'm so lucky that my dad could fix this or we couldn't afforded to have it fixed. i'd already decided to just put the quad up until i could get after market parts or used parts in a couple of years. the quad is so new that used parts are readily available yet.

thanks for answering.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts