Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

My 82 Gpz750 Project

11K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  tri650 
RaceTek cartridge emulators and straight rate springs are the mods usually recommended for the front end, unless you can get away with running a later model front end and wheel, in which case the Suzuki Katana 750 forks are better than any GPz750 forks, and the wheel is 17" so you can run radials. I used 99 GSX750 Katana forks, but I think anything from 88 on will work.
The 17" 750 Katana rear wheel uses the same size axle as the 83 GPz750.

And Works Performance rear shocks.

StarGate is right on the money, many Progressive kits come with pvc pipe that you cut to size.

I bought a set of Progressive fork springs for my KZ750 twin on eBay, they were blister packed and no spacers were included. I already had a piece of schedule 80 PVC (overkill, but it's free) the right diameter so it was no problem to cut spacers.

Speaking of KZ fork springs, does anyone know if all KZ's had straight rate springs, or did some have progressive (not the brand but the way they're wound) fork springs? I have 4 sets of fork springs and two of them are progressive wound.

B Dub, I have first hand experience with Progressive Fork springs, on a 79 KZ750B twin.
At the moment I also have Koni rear shocks (14 3/4" long!), and I weigh near 250 lbs, and the bike has 130/90/16 rear and 100/90/19 front, on tubeless Morris Mags. And 10 wt fork oil.

I put the fork springs on while still using a set of worn out 80 KZ750E shocks. Helped the ride out but the rear shocks were still messing up the ride. They'd bottom out crossing tracks or hitting bumps, and the shock would go right up my spine. The Koni shocks killed that problem, deader than the proverbial door nail, now I just glide over the tracks and bumps :)

My foot pegs, brake pedal, and shifter, are in the same location as yours (not surprising since I used GPz750 parts), because I like to bend the bike around corners. And it goes around corners better than it ever did before.
I have the sag set at 1.5" on the front.

Race Tech seems to favor straight rate springs, others favor progressive, pick the one you like :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.