Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike repainted, need some time in the sun to get really good pictures, new Vance & Hines muffler that has been modified to fit my bike (still more in the works). This is a Metallic silver frost, with extra metallic added in and blue pearl sprayed on too. It has that nice slight hint of blue when you get the right light. More pictures tomorrow.

·
Registered
209 Posts
The bike looks good, from what i can see. I need to get mine repainted. How did you prep the bike to be painted? Did you get it done at a shop? What kind of paint works best for the plastics? Did you get each piece done seperately, or do the bike as a whole?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
michiganarft11 said:
The bike looks good, from what i can see. I need to get mine repainted. How did you prep the bike to be painted? Did you get it done at a shop? What kind of paint works best for the plastics? Did you get each piece done seperately, or do the bike as a whole?

Thanks
It was done at a shop that I kinda work at on the side. The plastics were repaired and made back into new (cracks from going down). The repaired pieces (tank-hail damage, top fairing-cracks) were primed and then wet sanded with 400 grit paper. the rest of the pieces were cleaned and wet sanded with the same 400 grit paper. I had all the pieces to be painted at the shop and painted all of them at once.

We used regular automotive paint, and as long as the plastic is prepared correctly the paint sticks great.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
michiganarft11 said:
I just don't like the color of mine. Purple and magenta. Does it matter what the original color is? How do you wet sand?

sorry for all the questions
Original color doesn't matter. All the original paint will be gone. Wet sanding involves spraying water on the surface and using 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper and making sure there are no shine off of the paint. You can also use scuffing pads (3M makes them) to scuff up the paint. Either way preps the paint.

·
Registered
62 Posts
That looks absolutely incredible Freakinout! :D

I think the silver/chrome look is amazing on nearly every bike. My personal favourite.

Keep the pics coming and the good work a flowin'

·
Registered
167 Posts
Ya know, silver really has shaped up the looks of your bike. Just want you all to know that my bike was silver first and he was just jealous. :lol: I'm just playin... LOOKS GREAT!!

·
Registered
302 Posts
That is one sweet paint job on that beauty.

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Paint

I've worked with fiberglass (R/C Sailplanes) but I have not worked with plastic. I know about the wet-sanding but did you use a primer? I'm really interested in the brands of primer and paint that you used...and if you used a clear-coat over it or not...depending upon the brand of paint.
[email protected] :?:

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Paint

ljangell said:
I've worked with fiberglass (R/C Sailplanes) but I have not worked with plastic. I know about the wet-sanding but did you use a primer? I'm really interested in the brands of primer and paint that you used...and if you used a clear-coat over it or not...depending upon the brand of paint.
[email protected] :?:
We primed the panels that had work done to them, (top fairing and gas tank) but that was it, all the primer/paint/clear were sherman williams.

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
PAINT and DETAIL

8) I've been to the shops around here and seen everything that they have room for on the floor...all decal(ed) out and stripes, and I have to say that your bike is awesome! I could be negative and say that when ou really blow up the image that the header pipe is need of some black heat paint...but there are so many things that you have right,,,Definately the muffler (you even kept the center-stand) the wheels are cleen enough to eat off of, have weights so we know that they are balanced, the paint GLOWS! I see the remarks out there about another color, decals, etc...but they could only take away from the wrinkle free skin that glows...I like the paint and the detailing, your artistic freedom using the carbon-fiber muffler...just awesome!!! I may be getting in touch with you on paint and such...

·
Registered
44 Posts
wow *drool* looks even better in the daylight!

The only suggestion I have is that you fit a fender extender on the front, not sure its a 'cool' looks thing but it keeps the radiator matrix cleaner (can see yours is kinda getting dirty along the centre like mine has). They were pretty cheap when I got one or I should think you could probably make your own.

I see the other guys are talking about painting of the down pipes etc. I painted mine with high heat paint but it just peeled back off once they warmed up. Anyone have any suggestions as to what to use? It was rated to 600 °C, though I have now seen a spray rated to 700. Others say it all peels off but there must be something.

I only wish I had skills anywhere near as close as yours Freakinout, respect man ;-)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey Freakinout.

What are the plans with the bike (if any) with regards to paint job. I know that you want to get some performance issues out of the way :) but anything with the paint, such as detailing or pinstriping?

Lemme know, might take a few notes ;-)

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Right now: Clean, simple, basic, and beautiful. As time goes on we'll see what I come up with. I might get some custom decals made at some point in time, but I'd have to come up with a design first.

I still need to finish mounting the exhaust. but its cold outside and I'm pretty dern lazy right now. Maybe when it gets warm some afternoon I'll finish it and give it time to set properly.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts