Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

My dirty left shoe!

7K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  spyder 
#1 ·
Any one got a tips or a secrets on how to keep your shoe from getting stained from the gear shifter? Just about every pair of shoes I have, got that dreaded gear shifter smudge mark on it.

#4 ·
Stain

Take lightly soappy water and a nylon scotch pad and clean the rubber boot. Then seriously take some shoe polish, neutral or what ever color that you want and dab some on a shoebrush or even a rag, and polish it. I know that this sounds silly...but when I was in the Navy I worked at a place that was for Surface Warfare Officers School (Staff) and I could not have this smudge on my left shoe/boot so I did polish it in black polish with nothing but a rag and black KIWI shoe polish. I no longer had smudges on my boots. Seeing that you probably wear differnt color boots, you could do hte same thing by using neurtal shoe polish on not only your shifter but your shoes and boots that you ride in...that way the rwill be no difference in chemicals and ou should get any more smudges that you couldn't remove with a simple wipe.

#5 ·
I had the same problem after my bike fell over on the left side. I think some oil leaked out the shifter. After a few weeks my shoe cleaned it off, and it hasn't been a problem since. If I had cleaned it, that would probably have fixed it the first day. Maybe there's a seal in there that can be replaced if yours keeps on leaking.
Curt

#6 ·
I'm getting a silver smudge on one pair of boots----from the metal part sticking past the rubber on the shifter---no dirt or oil. It doesn't bother me---so no big deal here.

How about wrapping your shifter with duct tape or something like that----seems you could remove the tape as it got nasty and then re-wrap with clean tape as needed.

#8 ·
i was looking at my boots while I was working this morning (I know, really productive) and I noticed the dark spot from my shifter. I think that it was mostly just a wear issue, leather can only take so much. I already wore out the soles, and now I've got a few months left before the leather is toast.

#16 ·
DiverDown said:
Speaking of shoes, notice what the guy is wearing in the picture? Sneaker! BAD!

As I have stated above I really am not one for wearing gear...For some reason I tend to wear sneakers 99% of the time that I ride.. I do not know why, and I know htat boots are the proper thing to wear i am just most comfortable in my kicks...

I know that wearing the proper gear is the right thing to do but for some reason I just never seem to be up to the standards on my gear wearing...

#18 ·
thanks for the link spyder. I didnt even know such a product existed. I dont wear boots when I ride either. I mostly wear sneakers and if it just to run to the quickie mart, I'll even wear my flip flops. I know its not smart but I'm in no way a daredevil.

#19 ·
You said flip flops.... HEHEHE thats the standing joke around here wit all my boyz... We go into a HUGE debate on gear because most of the stunters wear Guinnie T's and german helmets with shorts and we always say why not wear flip flops... lol

I would never get down on anyone gfor not wearing gear only because its everyones own option either to wear gear or not too.. No one is better than anyone else for wearing gear.. They might be a little smarter than I am for wearing it but you should never get down on anyone for it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.