Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Chillin in Chiang Mai
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it was eneviatable that I would eventually have an accident here in thailand and 3 weeks ago thats exactly what happened on my way home from a night out on the town.

completely my fault a lapse in concentration due to drink caused me to crash inbetween 2 vehicles at the lights (I know I am a dumbass) luckily I realized I would be unable to stop and decided to steer in between the 2 cars rather than hit one right in the rear end and maybe go flying over the bars I ended up stuck between the 2 vehicles.

I new immediately my left leg was completely busted in pieces it turned out to be broke in 4 places including the femur, tibia Knee and shin also pelvis luckily I always wear my helmet and that ended up in 2 pieces on the road.

I was completely awake and waited for the ambulance at that time I was not in any pain but boy that was short lived lol

After xrays etc the doc explained how bad it was an told me it was going to cost me 200,000 baht just for the operation all in all it cost me over $10,000 in hospital expenses after being in there for 2 weeks.

I now have more metal in my leg than the terminator including a rod screwed into my pelvis rods screwed into my femur from the top of my leg to the knee. then I have metal screwed into the knee and down onto my shin.

Had my bike just over a year and clocked 22000km and rode all over Thailand only to have my accident 5 minutes from home.

Moral of this story is while Thailand is lax on drink driving eventually you will pay for it as I am doing with a medical bill of over $10,000 USD and being out of commision for at least 12 weeks before I can attempt to walk again.

THE GOOD NEWS IS my bike got away better than me and this is where I could do with your help damage was

Tank need a new one anyone know what a new tank will cost me

Rear fender cracked probably can have body work done on it but i prefer to get a new one anyone know the cost.

small panel with the lock for the seat I need to get a new one

recover the seat

thats about it now I am home listening to the odd bike go by and itching to get back on my bike this time with a lesson learn,t attitude no drink driving for me I have learnt my lesson you think it can never happen to you but I now realize it easily can.

·
Registered
134 Posts
hell, your bike has hardly anything wrong with it mate !!
i suppose, stuff like the rear fender and breaklight, you can get on e-bay or other secondhand outlets, its all really cosmetic, except for the tank, but even that can be made as good as new.
However,if you do want all the stuff to be new,it could be setting you back,more than you'd really like to pay-- especially the tank.

Anyway, good to see that you're (rather) ok,like you said mate -- it could have been a lot lot worse!!!!

·
Chillin in Chiang Mai
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah I was lucky with the bike I think it was the right thing to do squeezing between the 2 cars which eliminated front end damage.

After looking at the rear fender I think that could be easily fixed although not sure the tank can with such a big dent I dont really know much bout it as to if ti can be repaired.

any idea cost of a new tank

·
Registered
134 Posts
Again mate, would you buy a secondhand tank and get it spraypainted ?
Or would you prefer a new one?
I guess a secondhand one, you can get pretty cheap but then you'd want it painted and so add the cost on top of the purchase....................
It would always work out cheaper to do it this way I guess, don't know the exact cost though - sorry mate.

·
Registered
134 Posts
just been looking on e-bay, a gastank would come in between $60 and $80.
around that mark anyway...........

·
The 717
1,271 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident. Hopefully lesson learned and lucky it wasn't worse than that. I wish you well.

There may be a member or two that has a stock fender because they purchased an aftermarket one.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I think with 12 weeks before you can even walk you'll be able to get all your parts off Ebay. You MIGHT even get them in your colors. If not, might be an ideal time to paint and personalize it. It'll take a while before you're ready to ride, I hope it hasn't screwed your knees up for riding permanently.

Hard way to learn a lesson. Get ready to 'enjoy' every weather change. My wrists still ache whenever a storm front comes in BUT its not always bad like it used to be. Only been 10 years. Oh well. Heel up, get the bike fixed and get back out on the road. You're not the first to do it. Luckily you only hurt yourself and some side panels on a couple of cars.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Being distracted while driving my bike has been a major contributor to all my "near misses"! I've learned that all it takes is a moment and distractions can come from my not paying attention as well as from others I'm with whom I'm sharing the road not paying attention. Hope you have a speedy recovery and few issues repairing your bike and returning to riding....

·
Enjoying midlife Crisis!
452 Posts
Glad you lived to tell your story. Wow thats a lot of metal, at least you can show them your scars if they stop you at the airport security scanners. Hope you can recover and return to enjoy riding.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Dude, you are really lucky! I know it must hurt, but you are alive and able to learn from your mistake. You can fix the bike and apply your hard-bought knowledge. I am glad that you are going to continue to ride.
Good luck, and heal fast!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've got a thigh zipper like that with stainless steel and 8 screws. Airport metal detectors have never detected it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm pleased to see you warned people about drinking and riding. Mine wasn't drinking, but just riding beyond my skill level combined with a curve that was banked negatively.

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,189 Posts
I'm pleased to see you warned people about drinking and riding. Mine wasn't drinking, but just riding beyond my skill level combined with a curve that was banked negatively.
Um . . . OUCH!:eek:

·
Workin' to ride
559 Posts
My first comment is that being a compassionate human being I am glad that you did not kill yourself or come out with brain damage or a spinal injury causing permanent paralysis. However I do not think one should minimize your injuries...I wish you a speedy and relatively pain-free recovery. My second comment is that I am astonished there has been only one other post to mention the causative factor: alcohol. Having been sober for over 17 years, but only having three more years not drinking than drinking years in my life I can only hope you have truly learned to never drink any alcohol before you ride. Riding requires lots of skill and mental acuity that alcohol shoots to hell. Sermon over...

·
Registered
304 Posts
Good thing you hit those cars and only screwed yourself up and didn't kill someone crossing the street. I have no sympathy, if you’re drinking and driving they should have locked you up after the surgery. The only thing this thread does is show people how stupid it is to drink and drive, but most seem to act like it okay simply because the rider was the one to suffer the most damage. This just ****es me off.

·
but still a NooBie
1,104 Posts
"...We can make him better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster...."

:smile:

Sorry for your accident, but looking at your xrays, it really could have been worse. Keep your sense of humor. And good luck with the rehab. We're all pulling for you.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts