Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my black VN1600 in late June. I have been watching this forum since before my purchase. Your posts have been most helpful in my decision to purchase the bike and in adding accessories. I rode bikes back in the 70's and 80's but had been without until now. I can't believe I waited sooooooo long to get back in, or can't remembe why I got out. Most of my buddies fide Harleys but I just couldn't see the value for the extra $. I am very happy with this choice.

I travel for business (by air, I wish by bike) about half the time. I try to ride to work when I am in town. The ride is about 30 miles each way in Atlanta traffic. Half the ride is country back roads, so that part is nice. I have had to have the bike in the shop a few times because of a faulty light bar that kept shorting things out, first the light bar itself, then the binkers. Thank goodness the dealer did the install on that one. I now have more the 2000 miles on the bike and love it.

I am getting the bike ready for some 6 to 8 hr rides I am planning this Fall. I plan a few college fball games and Biketoberfest in October. The seat needs changing but the CFO(aka wife) has pulled the budget until next Spring. I'll probabbly change the grips (the stock are too small) and add a throttle boss soon, but that will be it. I had to buy the wife a new WP Duet washer/dryer to get this far. (And tile the d^mn laundry room, who cares about tile in the laundry room?)

Next spring I plan to change the air intake and exhaust and start adding chrome. Keep posting those results, the are very helpful. I used your suggestions to remove the labels too. A hair dryer worked great, but without the fishing line. The fishing line left more residue than without.

One thing that does seem strange to me is Kawasaki's seemingly lower marketing presence. I have noticed few adds lately in cycle mags. When I travel, I try to visit local bike shops. Metric and Harley. Kaw is much harder to find, and few Kaw dealers carry many cruiser accessories. Lots of Honda and Yahama, but very little if any Kawasaki (except crotch rocket stuff). I even found a bunch of Suziki stuff in a shop in Elkhart, IN. What is up with that?

I took my bike back to the dealer for the first service (the light bar needed repair anyway) and they only charged $100. They had told me that it would be $220, but they only charge the $100. I will probably do most of the oil changes myself in the future.

Sorry for the long post, but I needed to share.

·
Registered
605 Posts
we like long posts,
It gives us stuff to do when there are 100mph winds and torrents of rain/hail coming down...

Welcome btw, you should've joined before you even got your bike though :)

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Welcome Bulldog.
I can tell you have style buying the black Vulcan :wink:

Don't forget the highway pegs to mount onto the engine guard you listed.
Need these to stretch your legs out on those long trips you have planned.
Maybe even find a set that match your new grips.

As far as the aftermarket is concerned- Kawasaki is missing out bigtime on the aftermarket parts. You can find just about anything you want for your bike and you can use some harley parts too.

Phatboy

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Great post. Great bike. Glad to hear from another VN rider, always a pleasure. If you haven't already, please post pics. I'd love to see your bike! :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Kury parts

Bulldog,

If you are looking for grips and pegs and want to go w/ Kuryakyn (I'm assuming since you mentioned the throttle boss), check out www.discountcycleparts.com. If you know the part #s (avail at Kury's site), you can order the stuff there at about a 25% discount from list. Congrats on your purchase. JC Whitney's got some cheaper stuff but I think some of it is just that... cheap. Many of my friends have Kuryakyn's parts and they are solid.

Pockets

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

welcome bulldog :wink: glad to have a black kaw around!

ride safe!

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Welcome Bulldog!

Nice bike! I’m pretty partial to those black 1600’s. ;-)

Thanks for the great post - we all like to hear what everyone is doing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Pick your pockets

I have already purchased but not installed the Kur Dually Iso Ergo pegs. Expensive as hell, but they seem very nice.

I tried www.discountcycleparts.com and found very good pricing, but can't seem to get the site to work. I get lots of SQL errors. It seemd to let me create a profile, but I could never get anything added to my cart. With all the IT people in the forum, seems we could get someone to fix it for them.

I have been using www.phatperformanceparts.com for some of my stuff, but your site is cheaper. I have looked at www.cruisercustomizing.com a good bit and they have about the same pricing on the Kur Iso grips. Will probably use them since their site works.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yeah, it's not the most reliable site. I just went over there and got the same errors. It usually comes back up quickly though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts