Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my girlfriend just got in town on her Thanksgiving break from college. She has not seen the fizzer yet and I have been spending the past four days working on the electrical problems trying to get it to run. I finally got everything worked out and took the my fzr 600 out for a test drive. When I was working on the electrical probelms I was contemplating takign the tank off to get to the wires better. I put the pet**** to the off position but found the problem before I had to take the tank off. So on my test drive today I went about 1 mile and my bike cut out. I sat there for 20 minutes then I realised my pet**** was still in the off position . So I switched it on and rode away. About 2 miles later it bogged down and died. I pushed it about 100 feet to a parking lot and when I got there it started right up. So I drove another mile and it died. I was close to my house s I pushed it 100 feet to my garage and now it will start up but when I turn the engine stop witch "On" it makes a loud ticking/growling sound likes it mad at me for about 4 seconds then stops. This is my fuel pump right? I dont know anything about fuel pumps but I rode it to the gas station and back and it doesnt sound very good when its running, its kind of sputtering and doesnt have that much power. I would like to check the fuel pump and teh lines around it to see if there is a block somewhere (hopefully) or maybe I just killed my fuel pump and need to replace it.

Like I said I dont know much about fuel pumps so I need a guide or walk through or diagram of my fuel system anyone have any helpful links? Thanks!

Ohh, also it sounds kind of like this

YouTube - Noisy Electric Fuel Pump

The ticking nooise is the same but its a lower "growling" noise.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I have gotten the bike running but I do notice it is running rougher then before and my fuel pump still sounds really bad.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, I think I have found the problem. I bought the bike used and Im pretty sure it was rebuilt at some point. The wiring is ran in the totally wrong spots and I can tell a lot of the not so important screws are random ones found in a garage. Anyway, I have located the fuel pump and can easily wiggle it around with my hand, so Im guessing it was just thrown on there. When my bike sits for an extended period of time it will start up fine and run fine for about a mile after this it will bog down and die. I have to wait about 10 minutes then start it again. I'm guessing that the fuel pump isn't pumping properly and when I let it sit it has enough time to get gas in the system and I can run on that for about a mile until it dies. So I need to figure out if its in the line or if its te actual pump itself.

Like I said I don't know anything about fuel pumps or fuel systems but what all does it intail?

I'm guessing I should move the petc0ck to the off position then find the tube that runs to the fuel pump and disconnect it. Then get a can and put the tube pointing in there and turn the petcock to on and see if the gas flows freely?

What are all the things the fuel pump connects to? I'm guessing there is a positive and negative wire to power the pump and a tube going from the petcock to the fuel pump as well as a tube going from the fuel pump to the engine (is it the carbuerators?)

Thanks

P.S. I know this is a Kawasaki forum but this is the first motorcycle forum I ever joined and I still use it a lot. I think a fitting User Rank (The text under your username) would be "Retarded Yam owner who uses the Kawi forum"

·
Eddie Lawson is God!
5,683 Posts
Maybe it should say "ELR658 is the MAN!"

The FZR600 is set up like my old Fazer, pull the gas tank cover, then the tank. Fuel pump is on the bottom of the tank. Hose out of the fuel tap, into filter, then pump, then hose to carbs. The fuel pump has a two wire connector which incorporates power and ground. There is also a fuel pump control box. Yamaha more than anyone else is almost universal in design so if you can fix one, you can fix them all. Good Luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts