Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am brand new to this board, because I just became the prowd owner of a brand spanking new 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak in Candy Lime Green! :D

I actually picked it up last Wednesday and finally got a chance to debut her to my sportbike riding buddies last night and they couldn't believe it...What an awsome bike, that's all I heard. They were all Candy Lime Green with envy. :lol:

This is my first cruiser but not my first bike...I've been riding since the summer of 1994. My first bike was a 1993 Honda Nighthawk CB750, loved that bike, put over 30k miles on her, but I traded her in after 3 years for a 1992 Kawasaki ZX-11C, after putting over 30k miles on her in a little over 3 years I traded her in on a 2000 Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R and after 35k miles I still have her in my garage and will be keeping her in my garage. I got the Mean Streak cuz, I'm 36 years old now and the sportbike scene was beginning to bore me. I began noticing that it seemed like the cruiser guys were having more fun. I wanted a cruiser to style on and ride my wife around...My BUSA isn't really made for that type of thing...It's just a big fuggin whooping stick that I usually only ride to race for bragging rights or money...Let their be no mistake...My BUSA is a beast when it comes to performance, but it just ain't really all that cool to style around on.

But enough about me...Back to my new bike...I need an exhaust system...I need one bad...Thing is waaaaay toooo quiet. I have actually ordered a set of the Cobra Speedster Shorts, but I'm starting to think I may have jumped the gun after reading some of the posts on this board...Seems to me that everyone likes the V&H and others a bit better. I chose the Cobra's cuz I know the name and I figured they'd work well and last a good long time. I was also able to hear them on their site on the 1500 http://www.cobrausa.com/exhaust/index_exhaust.cfm?pg=bike&bikeID=29 and I thought they sounded **** good, but I read someone say that they sound raspy and cheap and I don't want that for sure. Money really isn't an object. I've got over $2000 dollars worth of bling that should be here next week, but the most important thing to me is the pipe...The looks and the sound. I actually love the way the stock pipes looks with their stagger and the big round pipes and hopefully the Cobras are the same diameter or bigger. People are telling me to pick the pipe for sound and looks and not rwhp, which is not what I'm used to. I actually like the look of the stock pipes, but they are waaaaaaaay toooooooo quiet (did I say that earlier?). I need more sound and attitude. I'm actually giving some thought to removing the baffles from the stock pipes to see what that does for the sound and in the process I may be able to save myself $520 for something else instead.

Anyway, I'm totally new to this cruiser thing, but I'm a quick study cuz I read alot. So anyway, sorry to take so much of your time, but if you can help me out on this pipe selection thing I'd certainly appreciate it. I've got to make a decision and then live with it, but I want to make the most informed decision that I can. V&H, Cobra, Hard Chrome, Jardine, etc...etc...etc...Let me know what you think and please tell me why you feel the way you do.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide! I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

As far as the pipes go my dealer told me to stay away from the Cobra pipes because they are cheap. Some don't like the sound others complain about the quality.

I went with the Hard Krome 3" Big Straights which is a 2-2 system. Much better quality and will not blue. Simply the biggest and best looking pipes I could find plus they have a 1 year guarantee not to blue. Oh and they won't be too quiet either. I thought mine were too loud until I switched the intake which changed the entire tone.

Some prefer the V & H, Bubs,..... 2-1 pipes give you the most power. For $520 you can get whichever so might as well get some good ones. Look through the posts on the forum and visit http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/ to see a lot of reviews. Looks like some people like Cobra pipes.

Phatboy

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've got the Samson on mine and love them. Loud and just the rigth tone to set most car alarm off :D :lol: :p

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i'm a hard krome fan - i like everything about them :wink:

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I'm looking into putting HK's on my Vulcan 1500. There are so many choices though, I'm not sure where to start and which ones I want/need to increase performance and sound. Still doing research...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting...Very interesting...Thanks Phatboy

I've taken a look at the Hard Krome 3" big straights and they look pretty mean...I like that 3" diameter look. I've definitely decided to scrap the Cobras...I told my dealer earlier today. I'm gonna take your advice and take a good long look at the Hard Krome and V&H systems and try to make a decision.

I want a system that's loud, but at the same time responsible...Something around 105 decibles or less. I don't hate my neighbors and I don't want them to hate me. I also want something that's going to improve my my bikes performance. I'm not expecting a big gain, but 5rwhp and better throttle respons looks like something I can reasonable expect for a cruiser exhaust systems...My Hayabusa picked up over 15rwhp from an exhaust system and airbox mod and it saved me a crap load of weight.

Anyway, I really like the stagered look of the stock pipes...Does anyone make a system that looks like that? I like the staggered Hard Krome's except the front pipe is too short...I'd like it to be a bit longer.

The V&H staggered are nice as well...I definitely like their staggered look, but their website sucks...I can't see what the pipes would look like on my bike...That blows. Plus their pipe isn't 3".

Decisions...Decisions...I guess I'm gonna have to head over to my dealer and start looking through their catalog...Hopefully I can see some pics there.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I know what you mean. I like the look of the stock pipes on the meanie, but it is too quiet. When I get the cash I am getting the Hard Chrome staggered, a thunder air kit, PC III, and a mustang 2 piece seat. I have an 02 and it is a blast to ride!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
BT,

Take a look at the Muzzy Drag Style Pipes (2-2). They are not quite as loud as the V&H pipes and have their own unique sound (nice low rumble and good bark on a hard roll on). Everyone looks when I crank the bike up and want to see what it is. They are a performance pipe and make good power, they also have a crossover tube which helps cancel out the difference in pipe length. They are not staggered but look really good. They stop just about at the rear axle. I think they are as close to a 2-1 pipe as you can get for making power. I got my set up through Steve at Sherms Cycle Products out of Reedsport OR, http://www.shermscycleproducts.com, give him a call and he will explain all. I ride a 04 MS with ForceWinder intake, Muzzy 2-2 pipes and TFI. Steve estimates 12-15 HP gain. He drags a MS and is really knowledgeable on the set up.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WOW! 12-15RWHP? I've only been told to expect about 5rwhp from pipes on cruisers. I don't know what I'd do if it had 15rwhp more than it does now. I'd be at 80-85 if I'm doing the math right...I figure the thing makes about 70rwhp stock right?

I took her out for a good long ride today...A mix of cruising, twisties and a little light to light...Short shifting of course...I'm loving her...She's definitely gonna create some wonderful memories.

I just went onto Muzzys site and checked out those pipes...Not bad, but I've got to have some sort of staggered pipe...That's what I like. But 15rwhp sounds like a winner. I hope I can get that with other pipes with crossovers. I'm gonna give that guy a call anyway...BTW, what is a TFI?

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
tfi = a fuel injection module. Cobra and Dynojet both make modules also.

Phatboy

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh...Okay...I have heard of that...I just assumed they were only for sport bikes...Some people use them to tune Hayabusas.

I use the Dynojet PCII product on my 2000 Hayabusa.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i'd bet that 12-15 hp is at any given rpm maybe and not overall
more like 5-7 peak hp

sherm's like to overrate hp #'s from my experience :wink:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hard Krome 3 ' big straights will give ya good bark and aren't bad when just easing it along. I love my HK pipes. Glad I went with them.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I ended up ordering the Hard Krome 3 inch Equalizer Staggered Straights. I like the looks of them and I'm told the sound is gonna be awsome. Each pipe is supposed to be 40" long which is suppose to be good for horsepower. Something about sound waves, etc..etc..etc...

But the bottom line is they look good and will hopefully sound even better. Can't wait til they get here...Maybe they'll be here by Friday if I'm lucky.

I'm also going to order an air intake kit and a TFI as well....I'm shooting for that 12-15rwhp when it's all setup and mapped properly.

I love my 1600 Mean Streak! How can I post pictures of her on this site?

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Post pics as an attachment to a post- see Freakingout's post for details

url]http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3098[/url]

Those are the pipes I wanted btreaves, but they wern't out for my bike yet :evil: You should post a pic in the 'Show off your ride' section. Those pipes will make the Meanie look really mean :shock:

Phatboy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts