Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Night Rider
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tension is soooo tight I can't stretch it far enough to get it reinstalled. How do I get both ends of both springs back on correctly.

·
V2K Classic
242 Posts
I would assume that you would need to put it on a jack so that you can put the kickstand up while putting on the springs. The springs won't go on when the kickstand is down, too much spring tension.

By the way I would look for a cause on why the springs came off before putting them back on, because they will just come off again if you don't correct the problem.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Having done some brake work on my cages the rear shoe springs are attached with a tool that hooks one end of the spring and the tool is anchored on the end where the spring need to be attached and you slide the spring end off the tool to the kick stand. This is hard to explain but thats the basic process.

·
V2K Classic
242 Posts
Having done some brake work on my cages the rear shoe springs are attached with a tool that hooks one end of the spring and the tool is anchored on the end where the spring need to be attached and you slide the spring end off the tool to the kick stand. This is hard to explain but thats the basic process.
You can use a long shaft flat tip screwdriver for this when you don't have the proper tool.

·
Machinist For Sale/Rent
1,234 Posts
phillips works better than a flat, biggest phillips you can find. Set the edges of the phillips on each side of the knob the spring goes over, that'll keep it from walking off to the left or right. Put loose end of spring on shaft of screwdriver and lever it into position.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I would assume that you would need to put it on a jack so that you can put the kickstand up while putting on the springs. The springs won't go on when the kickstand is down, too much spring tension.

By the way I would look for a cause on why the springs came off before putting them back on, because they will just come off again if you don't correct the problem.
Agreed. If the design of that stand is similar/same as the Mean Streak, the chances of the stand and/or the frame is wearing away and causing the stand to become floppy. Thus, the spring will continue to fall off. It's best to resolve the problem soon. One day you'll be riding and lose the springs, then have a kisckstand which drags on the ground.

·
I was at D.O.D #1!
785 Posts
Grab a handful of pennies, and start placing them in each loop of the spring until is long enough to hook at both ends. Then kick the stand down. It will stretch the spring and all the pennies will fall out.

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
Grab a handful of pennies, and start placing them in each loop of the spring until is long enough to hook at both ends. Then kick the stand down. It will stretch the spring and all the pennies will fall out.
Now that is just gemius! Would have never thought of that.

·
Machinist For Sale/Rent
1,234 Posts
Isn't it? I wish I could claim it as my own idea.
Ok, I have an extra kickstand spring for my 800. I went into the penny bank and got a handfull of pennies. It took 27 to make the spring just long enough to fit. That is one helluva quick idea.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ditto to Meanies comment. The kickstand bolt is probably worn, where it rotates within the frame tab. Common with Vulcans and a crappy design. Same thing happened to me last year. The kickstand does needs to be lubed on occasion. There is kind of a shoulder bolt that secures the kickstand to the frame tab. The frame tab can also wear. Whatever you do, don't just try to re-torque the kickstand bolt to take up the play. Otherwise you will be buying a $95 kickstand and Dremmel tool. Disassemble the hardware, and take a look at the components. You will certainly need a new bolt (and they are cheap). Mine had worn the frame tab also, but not too much. If the frame tab wears too much, then you can drill the hole larger and install a brass bushing, or weld it closed and redrill to the original size. Good Luck.

·
Needs More Cowbell
11,774 Posts
Yup, this works quite well.

·
Night Rider
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got it back on shortly after I originally started this thread. I had the boy hold the bike upright and with the kickstand up it was no problem stretching the springs micro millimeters needed to successfully replace them.

The only problem now is it seems like the kickstand is a little loose when it's up. Didn't seem like that before and both springs are on exactly as before.

What bolt is this that I hear talk about that could fail? The bolt that mounts the kickstand to the frame? Looking at the parts diagrams, everything seems normal on mine.
Anybody have any pics of a healthy kickstand assembly handy? Don't know why my kickstand has a little play now in the upright position, when there was none a few days before?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I got it back on shortly after I originally started this thread. I had the boy hold the bike upright and with the kickstand up it was no problem stretching the springs micro millimeters needed to successfully replace them.

The only problem now is it seems like the kickstand is a little loose when it's up. Didn't seem like that before and both springs are on exactly as before.

What bolt is this that I hear talk about that could fail? The bolt that mounts the kickstand to the frame? Looking at the parts diagrams, everything seems normal on mine.
Anybody have any pics of a healthy kickstand assembly handy? Don't know why my kickstand has a little play now in the upright position, when there was none a few days before?
It's easy to assume there wasn't any play prior to the spring falling off but we tend to overlook things until they cause a problem. Chances are, the metal has worn down on either the kickstand, mount or both which is causing the play. The bolt simply holds the stand at the pivot point. The worn metal will cause it to play.

Some solutions, depending on the actual problem, are a new bolt, bushing, washer or weld. I had mine welded to beef up the thickness to original specks and purchased another kickstand since both mount and stand were worn. So far after 2 years, no problem, but I also lubricate more often.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The bolt and/or frame tab is worn. When the weight of the bike is on the kickstand, it puts pressure at two points on the bolt. Its causes surface cracks to develop and then nibbles away at the bolt circumference. You need to fix it now, or that spring will fall off when your on the road. And then you will trying to be defeat the kill switch. Carry some tie wraps with you in case you need to secure the kickstand. Its an easy fix, but have all your stuff with you when you get started (unless you have a stand). Remove the kill switch assembly first. As I recall, the kill switch on my 1600 Classic was attached using a phillips head screw which was a bear to get off without stripping the head. I replaced it with a stainless hex head bolt so I had some flats to grab next time. Check the frame tab for wear too. Your machine is an 08, so I doubt if the frame tab is worn. If it is, you can get drill bushings here => http://www.mcmaster.com/#drill-jig-bushings/=6vqba3. Or, weld it closed and redrill to the original size. Good Luck.

·
Yet another 800 Bobber...
598 Posts
Hi, the problem seem already solved but here is an easy way to put the spring back:

1) Remove the bolt to the kickstand.
2) Put the springs back on in both ends, no tension needed as the kickstand is completely loose.
3) Pull the kickstand back in position and secure with the bolt.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts