Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
here are some pics of my '78 kz750b cafe project... from this...
[/IMG] to this...
[/IMG] note... the motor is NOT painted!!!
[/IMG]
[/IMG] click the link to see the build. Pictures by landric7741 - Photobucket . please give me any ideas or thoughts... thanks
I like what you've done. It looks good.

My only suggestion, and I hate to say it since it is clear you had work done there, is the seat could be modified. You could remove the cover and cut down the padding to streamline the look. I'd cut it down in the front area for a sort of dished but flat longer rider area, much like the seat on the old KZ1000R (and the Eddie Lawson Replicas) and the 1990s Zephyrs. I'd trim the top and sides of the back to blend it in closer to the tail section. This can be done by a good upholsterer or yourself. You can use a bread knife or electric knife to cut down padding and then use a circular sander or sander fitting on a drill to smooth it out before reinstalling upholstry.

Next, for purely cosmetic reasons, keep an eye out for some old ridged alloy rims with the proper diameter and hole count to lace up. My guess would be a set of early Yamaha XS650 rims would be right. If you can get them really cheap they would add that REALLY early cafe look. Keep an eye out, you might even find them somewhere on a junk 650 for free. It would be something to do whenever the cash or time presents itself, I think the bike looks worth doing little details like that as a continuing project.

Otherwise the clubmans look good, front fender is cool. Pipes look great - get air cleaner pods on there if you haven't already.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
klx... thanks for the advice.. i actually plan to keep the seat the way it is as my wife actually loves to ride and often goes with although if the situation were a little different i would have shortened the tail up a little bit by shortening the seat and bringing forward the tail piece. thank you for the compliments. as for the air intakes. im planning on fabricating a 2 into one Y from the carbs then im going to uae an automotive air filter element in between the frame rails under the seat.. i'll post some pics as it goes along. the bike is up for sale as of right now to make room for another project

·
Registered
792 Posts
Well done.
Nice detailing.

·
Registered
818 Posts
klx... thanks for the advice.. i actually plan to keep the seat the way it is as my wife actually loves to ride and often goes with
As good a reason as any! ;)

I've got my own street/tracker (with the emphasis on tracker) with a 78 Yamaha SR500. Here's a few shots

It had a light coating of oil making it look a bit worse than it is for finish and is in primer right now, but that red is looking good to me so it might stay close to that with some tricks to have that 60s look.

It's in pieces again to have the frame cleaned up a bit of extraneous brackets, get wired, upholster the seat, and paint the tank. I plan to do about 90% of the work, possibly farming out the wiring and some of the painting, but I'll still participate in those too.

Have a good one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts