Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1990 600R has been down now for almost a month. I tore it apart to re-jet the carbs, (dynojet stage 1 kit), install a Muzzy 4 into 1 system, and install a new radiator that was leaking, and all corroded. I finally got my Muzzy system from Parts 411, TOOK 3 WEEKS to get it from them!.

The **** exahust does not fit properly :evil: The midpipe hits the right lower rear corner of the frame, no matter how you orient it. It clears fine, until you go and put the can on, and attempt to line the can flange up with the hanger to put the bolt through. you have to put pressure upwards to get the the hole to line up, then it pins the midpipe up against the frame.

I tried every angle..............really upsetting. I had Muzzy on the phone several times. I ended up sending the system back to Muzzy directly for them to evaluate, and figure what the heck is going on. IT just doesnt fit plane and simple.

Meanwhile, my radiator shows up, but I cant install that until I get an exhaust system back here............ :(

I should have just waited till winter, the weather has been great for riding, and my bike is sitting int he garage in pieces waiting on parts......because I could have just rode the rest of the season, even with the radiator.

I just keep hoping it will be worth it in the end, when its all done and ready to roar. I picked Muzzy based on their great quality and fitment, and I get a system from them that doesnt fit...............

Sorry guys, I just needed someone to complain to

Your thoughts are welcome

·
Registered
31 Posts
yeah..the same happened to me...i just worked around it to get it fitted....i also had to remove my center stand....but in the end it was all worth it..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep, I could have made it fit, grind the weld on the frame a little, TIG weld the bracket for the muffler to make it longer and re-drill the hole at the correct level...........but decided, I will just wait and see what they have to say before I go hackin.

·
Registered
49 Posts
When I look at my bike (im not sure if all exhaust are like that or not, but i doubt it) my exhaust sticks out more, its not exactly straight, it sticks out to avoiding hitting things... so they may mold some other piece on to it, you can sort of see it from this picture;

Ryan

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Waiting for winter

NOW YOU KNOW... A valuable lesson has been learned. In the end you will have everything ready by this spring including polishing every inch of the bike, and removing all the stuff that you don't want...even changing to all LED's, looking into the Fiamm 135db dual horn set (12V), getting a taller than stock racing windscreen for better aerodynamics, there is so much time for you to get the things that you would have been looking for anyway...now is the time not to fret over when the pipe gets there but to make a "wants" and "needs" list and post it and priority list everything becasue of the different holidays, birthdays, aniversaries, or tax return day. or windfall money arrivals...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Waiting for winter

ZX-2R said:
NOW YOU KNOW... A valuable lesson has been learned. In the end you will have everything ready by this spring including polishing every inch of the bike, and removing all the stuff that you don't want...even changing to all LED's, looking into the Fiamm 135db dual horn set (12V), getting a taller than stock racing windscreen for better aerodynamics, there is so much time for you to get the things that you would have been looking for anyway...now is the time not to fret over when the pipe gets there but to make a "wants" and "needs" list and post it and priority list everything becasue of the different holidays, birthdays, aniversaries, or tax return day. or windfall money arrivals...
ROTFL.......thanks, I needed a good laugh :D

·
Registered
158 Posts
Even reputable companies have some QA issues. It's to be expected when it comes to anything aftermarket. I've learned a long time ago when I first started modding cars that bolt on doesn't always mean bolt on. If it's any consolation, Borla (a very respected exhaust manufacturer for cars) has had a rash of fitment problems with some of their cat back exhaust systems. And these exhaust systems aren't cheap. Costing to the tune of around $700 just for a cat back system made of stainless.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
ZX10 GUY

Tell me about custom...I spent the big bucks to have 3"I.D Aluminized pipes and Flowmasters on each side of my chevy truck. The Massive Holley sets just under the hood with the Edelbrock intake...and I had the motor built so that I could roll on from 1500-on...The pipes are FULL length and the cost, mandrel bent pipes and mufflers all was twice that of your catback system. It sounds AWESOME whether you are in town between buildings windows down or cruising down the highway at 65. I didn't realize what the real cost was going to be so I was in shock when I looked at the bill. The guys that did my motor were the same guys that installed my exhaust system, so there were no shortcuts in anything that I wanted, ot they thought that I needed. Now to get the bed rebuilt and everything painted. I fugure that my dads 1972 Chevrolet Longhorn was wirth doing a proper job on. Finally, the engine, brakes, tires and complete drivetrain is complete...When I get my bike I won't be spending as much as the bike is worth repairing it, I'll just move on anand keep it as a spare...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts