Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I FINALLY got my bike!!

i bought it off ebay from a guy in oregon (I live in california). it took a buttload of time for the shipping company to get it down here, because their truck broke down, then (they only ship from oregon to california on tuesdays and thursdays) they decided to ship out the next week instead of that thursday. I got the call yesterday afternoon that my bike was ready for me to pick up, and jetted up about 20 minutes north with a buddy of mine, my gear and all the excitement I could muster.

it was the last thing on the truck. all the way in the back. she looked great sitting there, I couldn't wait to get her out and revved up (the listing said "READY TO RIDE"). I was going to ride her to work, so i told my buddy (with whom i work) to go ahead and take off, I'd catch up. traffic on the 15 is a bitch that time of day and i figured i'd probably pass her lane splittng ;)

as soon as she left, the problems started. first it was the kickstand, which isn't bolted on properly, so when i tried to stand it, it instead fell over on me. at the same time, the the gas tank and seat fell off the bike, along with a piece of the fairing which wasn't bolted on. a little bit of fiddling got the fuel line reconnected and the gas tank settled back on the frame. the lights turned on when i turned the key, so that was a good sign. of course, when i hit the starter all it did was its best impression of a hoarse chihuahua. after making very good sure that the gas was on, choked up, engine kill swich was in the right position, kickstand up, clutch in, it still wouldn't turn over. repeat as necessary to kill the battery...

so at this point I was already late for work, all my buddies had already started drinking, so they couldn't come give me a hand (they're not alcoholics, i work graveyard shift). skipping some bullshit, I got an emergency service guy to come out and jump me. the starter had ceased turning and now just buzzed. after the battery was properly charged, depressing the starter would reward me with a single 'click' and a slight dimming of the lights. Did I mention that the emergency service guy figured out that there was no oil in the engine? adding it didn't help.

screw this, i caught a ride with the emergency guy back to my buddy's place, left the motorcycle at the truck port, and got my buddy to come pick me up and take me to work. cue six hours of boredom.

this morning, after work was over, i got a small business owner (read: skinhead harley rider with a pickup truck) to "tow" my bike to a dealership/repair spot, the owner of which was his good buddy. he had a lot of bikes on display, newish 2000-2003 models of all types (hondas, kawas, zookis, yamas). he didn't even let us take it off the truck. he hopped up and poked around the bike while i ooh'd and ahh'd over a 2002 ninja 600... shoulda picked it instead of this old POS.
anyway. back to the story:

the guy who was looking at the bike (frank) pointed to a dark spot on the side of the head: a quarter-sized JB weld. then at the handlebars: each handgrip had been welded. a piece of the fairing had come off on the way out of the truck port parking lot (washboard dirt road). he proclaimed it a loss and told me I might get $250 for parting it out.

total cost to me: 1,185 for the bike, 250 for shipping, 120 for towing, 40 for emergency service and 6 hours of lost wages.
total number of bikes under my ownership capable of being ridden: 0
number of sales I hope "randy" from roseburg cycle center in oregon loses because the potential customers read this: 203874583.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Give the BBB a call and tell them what happened to you. You might also wanna go up and make a little trip to OR and have a talk with that shop.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Through Ebay you have the right to try to get your money back due to misrepresentation of the item. If you paid through Paypal, it makes i t even easier.

Look under disputes or customer service.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
Your sob story really sucks. Not to be flippant, this is one of many reasons why I would never buy a motorcycle or car from Ebay. Not to say that thousands of cars and bikes are sold every year on Ebay. I'm just saying that I'd rather go look at the product in person to gauge its worthiness.

I hope you get this all resolved. BTW, make sure you leave a flaming response to the seller on Ebay, hit him where it hurts, his pocketbook.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I disagree with spok. :?

I bought my bike off of eBay, well kind sort of. It was located only an hour and a half south of where I live so I placed a bid. I would not buy it if I didn't like it, so I bid on a bike I could see and inspect before paying for it. No one won the auction, but a few days later the guy emailed me, cause I was the high bidder and offered me the bike. Before buying it I asked to see and inspect it, I gave him a down payment on the spot. Awesome bike!!!! :D

For larger purchases you can also use an Escrow Service. :D

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
First the Customer comment

After the Customer Comment, copies of all hte documentation, I would send after calling and chatting to the manager, a copy of everything o the Manager...Besides not wanting to upset a customer...Mr. "Randy" may be looking at some serious charges...besides a newspaper for a new job.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
ZX6RRNewbie said:
I disagree with spok. :?

I bought my bike off of eBay, well kind sort of. It was located only an hour and a half south of where I live so I placed a bid. I would not buy it if I didn't like it, so I bid on a bike I could see and inspect before paying for it. No one won the auction, but a few days later the guy emailed me, cause I was the high bidder and offered me the bike. Before buying it I asked to see and inspect it, I gave him a down payment on the spot. Awesome bike!!!! :D

For larger purchases you can also use an Escrow Service. :D
Its great you got a super deal but you inspected before you bought.

No worries :), my preference is to see it before I buy it.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Contact Square Trade and work with them to help you get this mess all worked out. If the advertisement was misleading and did not disclose the damage, did you ask for close up pictures????? Did you ask any questions prior to buying it?
Does the person have no negative feedback??????

What was the auction number and how did you pay.....We can help you sort the mess out.

Your immediate recourse is:

1. Contact the seller and see what they are willing to do. Document what they say.

2. ebay complaint.
3. May border on fraud depending what is in the ad and what was said.
4. If you paid by credit card or paypal - send complaint immediately.
5. If you paid by postal money order contact the Postal inspectors office.
6. If you paid by check - stop the payment.
7. If you paid by cashiers check - stop the payment. You can do that if you didn't know.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Finally God punished someone for trying to be a sheepish squid. :twisted:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
nathan600r said:
Finally God punished someone for trying to be a sheepish squid. :twisted:
WTF are you talking about? I'm far from a squid. I don't stunt, I wear my gear, and I never ride faster than I need to in order to have a good time riding. so take your "squid" and stuff it. :roll:

anyway, thanks to everyone who gave advice.
to anyone who's curious, I took some pictures of the beat-up bike itself.
warning: they're kind of big.
first, observe the kickstand, which is only halfway bolted on:
http://www.viscerotica.net/pictures/kawa/kickstand1.jpg
http://www.viscerotica.net/pictures/kawa/kickstand2.jpg

next, you can see the chain, which while it isn't rusted completely and all over, at least needs to be cleaned if not replaced:
http://www.viscerotica.net/pictures/kawa/chain.jpg

and the left and right lower fairings. one is broken completely off, the other only has the placement/angle peg broken off, the bolt is still keeping it to the bike:
http://www.viscerotica.net/pictures/kawa/broken_fairing.jpg
http://www.viscerotica.net/pictures/kawa/broken_fairing2.jpg

also, the gas tank wasn't bolted on:
http://www.viscerotica.net/pictures/kawa/gastank1.jpg
http://www.viscerotica.net/pictures/kawa/gastank2.jpg

the right rearview mirror is broken off
http://www.viscerotica.net/pictures/kawa/mirror.jpg

and the biggest concern I have: a JB weld on the side of the head:
http://www.viscerotica.net/pictures/kawa/JBweld.jpg
which i'm assured by the guy who sold it to me is only there to replace a rubber plug, but that don't make NO sense, and I don't see anything about a rubber plug on the side of the engine in the clymer manual.
I have the assurances of the dealer that he personally fired it up and rode it around, but do i want to trust him it he sold me a bike like this? probably not.

i'm hung between relgating it to a hobby bike and litigating over it. i'm not sure yet.

·
Registered
302 Posts
psiphre said:
i figured i'd probably pass her lane splittng ;)

I consider that a squid move. :x

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
nathan600r said:
psiphre said:
i figured i'd probably pass her lane splittng ;)
I consider that a squid move. :x
lane splitting is legal in california. the lanes on the 15 are wide as hell. and the traffic would have been jammed or locked.

zipping at 90mph back and forth between cars going 70 is stupid. putting at 20mph between cars that are creeping at 10-15 isn't. i did it on my yamaha for months and it's a good foot and a half wider at the handlebars than this ninja, and had saddlebags to boot.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Yeah I duno dude, this guy things anyone who doesn't ride in a straight line is a squid. I'll admit, I do some crazy things at times. But I never do them when I can endanger someone else other than myself. And its not like I am pulling a wheelie every stop light or racing every dork who revs their engine next to me. I don't "stunt" I'm not even very good at doing wheelies. Stunting is only another way for people to express themselves and have fun. And I don't want the stupid "you make my inssurance go up" lament anymore. I have a '02 ZX-9R. I have full coverage on it, I'm 21, and single. You don't get much worse for insurance purposes. I only pay $65 a month. I've never had any moving violation in my life.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm not dogging on riders who like to stunt because they like to see how far they can push themselves and/or their bike. that's a noble and worthy reason. I only dog on riders who stunt because it's "cool" or to impress people. like the video that was up not too long ago of a squid on a bike with a passenger, popped a wheelie and she fell right of and hit the pavement chest first only wearing a helmet.
THOSE are the dangerous ones.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts