Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out riding on a very twisty road (speed limit 10mph). I was going almost 30 until i saw lots of gravel...then i decided to not kill myself and take it down a bit. Well as I was watching my Speedo to make sure I was keeping it safe, I noticed something odd. The needle was jumping from 20 up to 35 (I was accelerating, but not from 20mph to 35mph in half a second!). Then all of a sudden it went to 0....

I tried restarting the bike to see if it would work again. No go.

Help! I really dont feel like getting a ticket for going 75mph in a school zone, so if someone could tell me how to fix this that would be great!

I have an 03 Ninja 500R. I cannot buy a maintainance guide from BearTooth because I dont have a credit card....

·
Registered
607 Posts
The 500R gets its speedometer reading from the front wheel, which used to be how all bikes did it but now it's unique, because most bikes now get the speedo reading from the drive shaft or drive sprocket.
Check your speedo cable mount on the left side of your front wheel, it's probably just come loose. This happened to my wife's 500 once when we were on a trip to Colorado. The entire cable actually came all the way out! Once we re-inserted the cable and tightened the little securing nut, it worked fine again.
If the cable or the bit appear damaged, it would be a good idea to replace it instead of simply reinserting it.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
-CCinC

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Definately check the speedo cable down by the axle. Also check where it connects to the speedometer on the instrument panel. I've seen a few work loose. If not loose - probably will need a new cable as it's probably snapped.

·
Registered
605 Posts
had mine break, I replaced it 100 miles later the speedo itself on my virago died :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahh, found it. Fixed it. Kinda difficult to reach up there and screw it in, because of the front fairing and all. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Sorry - should have mentioned to check the clocks to unbolt them which would be easier then sticking your hand up the fairing....

WWas is disconnected at the clocks?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts