Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
How do you know your speedo was or is inaccurate?

Are the front and/or rear sprockets different from the OEM ones fitted to the motorcycle when it was originally manufactured?

I hope you did't get a speeding fine!

Corbywan
2000 ZX6R Green
Melbourne
Australia

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No fine, just a warning, and my speedo runs off of the front axle with the stock size tire and it was like 13 mph off!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yeah, I've tried telling a cop that his radar detector is not correct b4, doesn't work too well. :twisted:
If you ever go to court for a ticket, the cop will tell the magistrate that he tested his equipment b4 he went out for the day, and when he got in and everything was working correctly. Heard that too many times. :lol:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am sure it was my speedometer, it was reading around 108 - 110mph when I passed him and he clocked me at 95mph. He was really cool or lazy and didn't want any paperwork. He told me the only reason he clocked me was because he saw the bikes nose dive down as we where coming toward eachother.
I was really nice and polite, I've heard that anything over 20mph over limit is jail worthy and I think the limit is 55mph there.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was on my zx750r, shoot on the same road he stopped me on Ive had the old girl over what my speedo called 165 which now I guess means about 150. Still not bad a heavy beast, just sounded better saying 165 :lol:

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
thats why it was off, after about 90-95+ mph indicated your speedo gets way off fast. There is no way to accurately test your speed with the speedo. GPS is the only way to go at those speeds. Yours may be off a bit more than others, but as long as its accurate at 80 and below you should be fine.

PS. Don't pass cops going 100+ they don't like that.

·
Road Snot Needs A Kleenex
364 Posts
Too bad theres not any GPS Speedometers for upgrades for bikes without speeding a lot of cash on a portable GPS Unit. That would be cool to have a GPS Speedo that worked in Tando with the bikes actual speedo for the most accurate reading.

·
Road Snot Needs A Kleenex
364 Posts
Hmmm, just gave some thought to what I posted earlier,

Here's a GPS Solution: I see Timex and Casio came out with GPS watches with a arm band GPS receiver. They give your speed, and distance traveled. Price is $149 and up though.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
might be cheaper for the GPS than a speeding ticket.

a radar detector might do you even more good, you can wire them to your bike. I'm planning on putting one on mine eventually.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Radar detector + jammer! (laser jammer too). I've thought about doing that. Do you think someone would go to jail doing 110 in a 60?

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Desp said:
Radar detector + jammer! (laser jammer too). I've thought about doing that. Do you think someone would go to jail doing 110 in a 60?
In texas? yes, yes you would. Jammers are illegal too from what I've heard, but a bike is pretty hard to hit anyway.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am ordering a bicycle computer today. They can be adjusted to the circumference of a motorcycle wheel and are accurate to 1/10 of a mph.Pluss they save top speed and have a clock, the drawback is that they max out at 125mph. But going that fast I have no doubt that I am speeding. The name of it is Sigma BC800 or BC1200, both basically the same, just the 1200 has more features. They are both right around $20.00

·
Registered
68 Posts
Re: hhmmm

bikeaholic said:
i smell stealth bodywork coming soon :twisted: :lol:
the actual material used to make planes and missiles have a low radar cross section is HEAVY as hell :shock:
It is mostly iron powder mixed with a resin that is formed into sheets they cut and connect to the planes.
I'd guess, with my body work on a 04 500, it would weigh close to 80-100lbs :(

SSgt Andrus

·
Registered
57 Posts
Desp said:
Detectors are one thing, but jammers are a completely different thing. I don't know a state where jammers aren't illegal and it's incredibly obvious to tell when someone has a jammer.

*cop tries to shoot you when you are speeding*

*can't because of radar jammer*

*cop turns on sirens, pulls you over, and you get a SERIOUS fine for having the radar jammer*

So basically, whether or not you were speeding, you get screwed over and much more severely than you would with just a speeding ticket. Jammers do absolutely no good. Radar detectors are great technology, however and perfectly legal from what I understand. If they aren't, you can always hide it if you get pulled over. ;)

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
In Quebec, the provincial police have a policy of not engaging pursuit at speeds of over 160km/h ( 100MPH).

Of course if their copter is available then they'll just nab you when you eventually stop.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts