Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an 2004 ex250. Basically i crashed because i was banking the turn too hard for the tires to handle (which was not very fast at all).

I am seriously ****ed at those tires right now, they are terrible for hard turns.
I need to get the tires replaced with tires that have absolutely the most grip, i will spare no expense and i can care less if they last only for 1000 miles.
Any suggestions would be great, because i was having a very hard time finding anything other than the stock dunlops online.

The reason why i was turning so hard and crashed is because i used to have a 2002 Gsxr600 and used to kill it on that bike, but i downgraded so that i could buy a car. I put too much trust in my tires and ripped the throttle a bit more than i should have.

Thanks yall

·
Premium Member
2,408 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way.... but if you throttled to hard on a 250 in the middle of a turn, on pretty much any tire..... you are doing something wrong....

Maybe my lack of trackday experience is not leading me to the proper conclusion.... but perhaps when i was able to drag the pegs on my old 250 with the dunlops at over 60 and nothing happend.... well.... the dunlop tires are fine.... maybe you got some "oops tires"? do those exist?

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
+1

The tires didn't make you crash, you made you crash.
The EX250 is not a Gixxer, and it won't handle like a Gixxer. It is what it is... it's a very good economical bike, but it's not a racer.

If you downgraded a Vette to a Corolla and tried to drive the Corolla through a turn like the Vette, it would crash too.

You need to take the time and familiarize yourself with the bike and it's handling before pushing it. Downgrading to a lower performance bike can be more dangerous than upgrading.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
+1

The EX250 is not a Gixxer, and it won't handle like a Gixxer. It is what it is... it's a very good economical bike, but it's not a racer.

If you downgraded a Vette to a Corolla and tried to drive the Corolla through a turn like the Vette, it would crash too.

You need to take the time and familiarize yourself with the bike and it's handling before pushing it. Downgrading to a lower performance bike can be more dangerous than upgrading.
Ahhh well put.

Another plus uno on it not being the tires.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Being more charitable than the others can i suggest you check the corner for a deisel spill, easy to see if it's wet but can still cause you grief even if it's dry. I have flown off on a corner for no apparent reason, and too much throttle deffinately wasn't the reason, and it was a deisel spill.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no one really helped me with finding the tires. That would be a lot more helpful than saying i suck at riding motorcycle

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Look up user "Ervins" and pick his brain... he's got a couple of tires that he really likes.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
I don't think you suck riding a motorcycle....but I would say that you are unfamiliar with the new bike still. As far as rubber goes....since it is a 2004 with the smaller 16 inch rims I would have to say look at this:

Kawasaki Ninja 600R

this is actually a tire guide for the 600R....but it also has the smaller 16 inch rims....however the tire guide sizes and what you would need for your application are different.

OEM 600R:
F 2.50x16 110/80V16
R 3.00x16 130/90V16

OEM 250R:
F 2.50?x16 100/80-16
R 3.00?x16 130/80-16

As far as sport performance look at the Avon Super Venoms...they sound much stickier for your application...."The Avon Super Venoms work very well on older sportbikes, and the Ninja 600R is no exception. The wear will be more rapid than the harder compounds, but for sport riding this is the way to go. Not only do they provide excellent traction, wet or dry, but the profile (particular of the AM20 front) gives good straightline stability while preserving flickability in the corners..." I would think that they would be available in your size, but you have to check that out. Hope this helps. And welcome to the forum.

I would also say to check out the specific Ninja 250R threads....as I know that with a search you should be able to find all kinds of good stuff relevant to your bike.
-Seb

P.S. I have also heard more than once that the OEM rubber on the 250R isn't the greatest stuff around.....too bad they only now finally went to a 17 inch rim or you would have TONS of choices!

·
Registered
96 Posts
not your tires

I just bought an 2004 ex250. Basically i crashed because i was banking the turn too hard for the tires to handle (which was not very fast at all).

I am seriously ****ed at those tires right now, they are terrible for hard turns.
I need to get the tires replaced with tires that have absolutely the most grip, i will spare no expense and i can care less if they last only for 1000 miles.
Any suggestions would be great, because i was having a very hard time finding anything other than the stock dunlops online.

The reason why i was turning so hard and crashed is because i used to have a 2002 Gsxr600 and used to kill it on that bike, but i downgraded so that i could buy a car. I put too much trust in my tires and ripped the throttle a bit more than i should have.

Thanks yall
Sorry but I have seen my buddies 250 take sharp corners on the track and street at near the 250's top speed 80 - 100mph. If you fell i dont even understand how ripping the throttle could have made you lose it since that bike has no power anyway. The only posible way I can imagine it is if you hit sand or just freaked and lost it. Maybe you didn't know what gear to be in and locked up a wheel or something. My buddy has done extensive research on the best tires for that bike and we do 5 - 10 trackdays a year and he runs stock tires all year plus another 8000 miles a year doing street riding on the same tires. He'll probably run the same tires he ran at last years trackday back in september. His tires look like swiss cheese from all the heat cycles but they hardly even wear down at ALL. Sounds like rider error. After all that 5 - 10 trackdays plus 5000 - 8000 miles on the stock tires he's still has plenty of tread cuz that bike just doesn't have the power to eat through tires. They do have heat bumps all over though. I even had the same bike and even on it's cheap stock tires it just doesn't have much power to break traction unless you are really doing something wrong in your cornering or downshifting. When I had that bike it cornered as well as any SS with race tires. On my 636 I go through 4 -5 sets of tires year when he can run all year just as fast on his stockers. Maybe this isn't the smartest idea but he's fast and those tires aren't like sportbike tires... Stock 250 tires seem little harder then the ss tires and don't wear that much although they do bubble up from the heat cycles. Learn how to take a corner those stockers will take your through anything I can do on my DC3's aside from the outright power of my 600 my buddy has no problem keeping up in the twisties.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
The back rim on the 250 is tiny... 2.5" if I recall. A 120 rear will actually handle better than the 130 because (believe it or not) the 130 is being pinched by the rim. Kawi used to put 120s on the back stock in the 80s but began running the bike with a 130 later in production for the simple reason that its ridiculously hard to find a rear 120 tire, especially in 16". A lot of guys run a 120 front tire in back so I don't know which is actually worse.

However, as others have said, it's not the tire's fault. Stockers can accommodate peg scraping lean angles just fine, just not at insane speeds.

Check out the FAQ at ninja250.org, they have quite a few tire choices listed in it. You will also want to consider a front spring upgrade. I'd actually get the springs first, it will make a world of difference and they're about 90 bucks at sonic springs.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Stockers

no one really helped me with finding the tires. That would be a lot more helpful than saying i suck at riding motorcycle
Me and my buddiy on his 250 do a lot of trackdays and he is a GOOD rider. He runs the stock tires and and can keep up with 600's and liters in any corner. He's actually faster then a lot of liters and 600's in the corners but of course gets blown away on the straits....

·
Registered
96 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way.... but if you throttled to hard on a 250 in the middle of a turn, on pretty much any tire..... you are doing something wrong....

Maybe my lack of trackday experience is not leading me to the proper conclusion.... but perhaps when i was able to drag the pegs on my old 250 with the dunlops at over 60 and nothing happend.... well.... the dunlop tires are fine.... maybe you got some "oops tires"? do those exist?

I full throttle on my 600 out of the apex of the corner.... i pull away from 750's and liters all the time doing it. Can't do that on a liter or you'll be on your a**

·
Registered
96 Posts
+1

Both me and my friend have had the 250 and he still does. He can keep up with any 600 750 or liter in the corners and actually pulls away until the straits and this is on stock tires. The 250 feels a little rough but it can handle well.

·
Registered
96 Posts

Dragging hard metal parts is not what you want to be doing at the track. You should be pushing the bike far enough away frrom you in the corners to not do this. If not you are not leaning off the correct way it does sometimes happen when you're too fast or break late. You have to push the bike away from you when leaning off.... thats the point.. the bike has a lower center of gravity from you leaning off but it is more upright and won't drag parts... this way you go faster.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I'm not going to harp on you, basically if you did something screwy you know it and I will let that be that. You never or hardly read anyone admitting to wrong doing on moto forums that led to their crash. I digress....

The OEM tires on the 250 stink and although they never slipped on me, I have heard they can be unpredictable. For that reason, I never pushed them extremely hard and made sure when I did it was a warm day and they had ample time to get as sticky as they could. They did seem rather hard.

On one occasion I hit a sweeping curve where a truck had blown oil all over the road and it made for an exciting moment or two as the bike twitched a few times and I eased it up. That wasn't the tires fault though.

Anyway, one of the favorite tires of many 250 riders (mine included) is the Pirelli Sport Demon. The 250 doesn't have many upgrade option IMO, but this is certainly a good one... better rubber. Many other tires here to look through:
What tire makes are available that fit the 250& - Ninja250Wiki

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Full moon?

A fellow rider that I work with has a theory about going down on a bike: Going down is never the result of just one factor--it's the result of multiple factors.

You have been offered a lot of different opinions and suggestions, read all of the posts again and "force" yourself to learn a little from each of them. If you do, I think that you'll come up with the following:

Going down was the result of a combination of the following:

*Not being familiar with the bike
*Something possibly being on the road
*Going too fast (riding the 250R like it's a GSX-600R)
*The tires

You're not doing yourself a favor by blaming the tires exclusively. If you think that any crash can be explained by one factor, you're only going to down again the next time you ride. Let's say you change the tires and you go down again on the same turn (and I hope that you don't), what are you going to blame next? The engine? The handlebars? The brakes? The shape of the gas tank? The shape of the road? The shape of the bush that's next to the road? The whole bike, the whole road and the bush that's next to the road? How about that it was the first Tuesday of the year that was going to have a full moon?

Point being that no one has the one right answer (me included) so you may actually want to consider what everyone else has suggested in this thread. I've told other new members this before: You may not like the way we tell you our opinions, but at least you know that they're honest opinions being offered by some very experienced riders. I can attest to that because I've learned a lot from these guys.

xeon: Great link!

·
Lets RIDE!
934 Posts
+1

Anyone who blames the tire for their fall on a wimpy 250 is clearly lying to himself and to everyone who reads this. Now if you had a 600cc or a 1000cc I would believe you and be able to help you...

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
Unless the tire blows, its rider ability that causes the crash, or rather rider inability!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
First and foremost, i would like to say that i was just kind of joking when i said that the tires made me crash. Im not that ignorant :-D I just said that so i can get a good response.

What i dont get is that on the website it has different size tires. Do they all fit on stock rims? (i know some of them it says to adjust the front fender, but in reference to the Pirelli Sport Demon and MT75, stock size is 100/80-16 130/80-16)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts