Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well aside from the problem with my plastics being miscolored and my brake lever snapping today. . .I just took it out and when I'm at a stand still with the clutch in, the bike wants to keep going. . .to the point where it's almost kinda tough to stay put without using the brake. This has never happened before. Aside from that, I can't do power wheelies?? I gunned it to about 10k and the front tire didnt even come off the ground. It felt like I was going fast but just yesterday I was doing wheelies all over. What gives? The only thing that was changed was I took the exhaust off to clean something. . .started it up for a couple mins to see how loud it would be without an exhaust and put it right back on. That's when I noticed these problems.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im sorry Im a bit stressed out. Why does it matter if I post in two different forums? There are tons of new posts each day so what's one new one.

·
nu2kawi
2,707 Posts
Gee....I wonder why you're having a problem. Could it be out of adjustment, or simply burned out. How did the brake lever snap? Almost sounds like your bike is trying to tell you something.

·
Registered
363 Posts
When you dropped it on its side and snapped your brake lever, you probably also managed to knock the clutch cable out of adjustment.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The lever just snapped as I was coming to a stop light. I don't ride my bike hard at all . . . I do wheelies here and there and that's about it. She ran perfect last night, but once I started it up today I couldn't get the front end in the air.

·
Gear Head
434 Posts
Now, out of curiosity, is this your first bike?

How long have you been riding?

How long have you owned it?

Do you have any knowledge of the mechanics behind a motorcycle?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had a 6r for about 2 years and got this bike about 2 months ago with only 3500 miles on it. As for mechanical knowledge, I just know the general stuff, nothing too in depth. Any ideas on either of the two problems?

·
Gear Head
434 Posts
First idea, stop doing wheelies, unless you want to replace your suspension.

More than likely, you stressed the metal of the brake lever from hard lands from one wheelin it, and you've jarred your clutch out of alignment. (Clutch cable/handle specifically).

Now, if you're in Tx, near Texarkana, I can look at it for you, and do the repairs cheaply.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Sound to me like something happened to the clutch adjustment, although if it's dragging at a stop and not fully engaging, it sounds like something is keeping the cable from moving freely.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Well aside from the problem with my plastics being miscolored and my brake lever snapping today. . .I just took it out and when I'm at a stand still with the clutch in, the bike wants to keep going. . .to the point where it's almost kinda tough to stay put without using the brake. This has never happened before. Aside from that, I can't do power wheelies?? I gunned it to about 10k and the front tire didnt even come off the ground. It felt like I was going fast but just yesterday I was doing wheelies all over. What gives? The only thing that was changed was I took the exhaust off to clean something. . .started it up for a couple mins to see how loud it would be without an exhaust and put it right back on. That's when I noticed these problems.

Possibly you disconnected something in the process of the "cleaning something" that you didn't get back the way it should be? The newer 10R's have a valve in the exhaust that is cable operated and if you didn't get it together correctly it could be causing a flow problem which would restrict power. My suggestion to you is if you want to do wheelies, buy an old junker and ride the crap out of it or maybe regress to a BMX bike, unless you upgrade the suspension on a newer 10R it is only a matter of time before you get to call a tow truck from abusing the machine as they are not designed for stunting.

Tim

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
What the heck....the guy asks for some help and instead this is what he gets? Don't do wheelie's on a liter-bike ehh? LOL

:shaking head:

·
Vulcan 800 Classic
292 Posts
Maybe its time for a new clutch..... Clutch will only handle so many time poppin the clutch doing wheelies... Maybe you need to concentrate on riding and enjoyin instead of trying to be a statistic....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't pop the clutch to do a wheelie. I let the 175hp do it for me and I've never had problems with the clutch til now. Besides, it's not slipping so how would the clutch be responsible for the loss of power?

·
Vulcan 800 Classic
292 Posts
putting it in gear and the bike trying to creep would be a clutch problem..... you got somthing not put together right... the clutch isn't releasing all the way.

·
nu2kawi
2,707 Posts
Wondering if your brake handle was somehow damaged when your friend dumped it? The power loss may have something to do with exhaust removal since this is when you first noticed it. Only guessing here...or it could be it just seems to have a loss because you're experiencing problems? How much of a loss... extremely noticeable, somewhat, or a little. Could it be the clutch is still not gripping hard enough, or is it not reving as fast as before?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
it still revs fast...it even goes fast as hell and i noticed no clutch slipping. its just that before i could power wheelie upwards of 100mph, but last night i gunned it til 10k rpm and the front tire didnt come off the ground. usually no matter where im leaning the tire came off the ground at around 7k rpm.

·
nu2kawi
2,707 Posts
Personally, I'd be happy if that's what your concern is. Let someone else take over your squidly duties, and take care of that ride. You have a bike that can give you many miles of riding enjoyment. Get a second bike, and go to a track to do that stuff. Like I've been told "a pretty woman will leave you, an ulgy woman may leave you too, but so what." I'm saying take care of the nice one, and do what ever you want with the other you don't care about, or you might wind up with nothing.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts