Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well aside from the problem with my plastics being miscolored and my brake lever snapping today. . .I just took it out and when I'm at a stand still with the clutch in, the bike wants to keep going. . .to the point where it's almost kinda tough to stay put without using the brake. This has never happened before. Aside from that, I can't do power wheelies?? I gunned it to about 10k and the front tire didnt even come off the ground. It felt like I was going fast but just yesterday I was doing wheelies all over. What gives? The only thing that was changed was I took the exhaust off to clean something. . .started it up for a couple mins to see how loud it would be without an exhaust and put it right back on. That's when I noticed these problems.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No sir. . .other than just doing small wheelies here and there I don't ride it that hard. The brake lever snapped just from pulling up to a stop light. . .no idea why it did that.

·
Gear Head
434 Posts
Where are you at? I'll gladly get rid of it for you. *evil grin*

·
Premium Member
2,408 Posts
Thats odd.... Okay... then at that point you have my apologies... i assumed that you were a stunter who drops his bike 3 times a day and wonders why it wasn't working correctly...

Sorry i can't help ya... If no one replies tonight, try to repost it in the mechs. corner of the site.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
So your clutch is grabbing at low RPMs, but is slipping at higher RPMs?

Shoulda been easier on it I guess.

·
nu2kawi
2,707 Posts
No sir. . .other than just doing small wheelies here and there I don't ride it that hard. The brake lever snapped just from pulling up to a stop light. . .no idea why it did that.
I thought you said you took it to 10 grand and popped the clutch to do a wheelie, but no luck. Not sure your definition of not riding it that hard, is the same as some others. You have a good bike, but you might consider doing some inspection and maintenance on it and not waiting till something brakes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I never said anything about popping a clutch. I said I took it to 10k and the front tire stayed grounded the whole time which is a huge warning sign for a zx10r. The bike rides fine at higher speeds. As for the bike still moving while I'm stopped . . . could it be a clutch problem? I can be at a stand still in 1st gear with clutch in and no throttle and it wants to roll forward. It still idles fine with clutch pulled in or even in neutral. I've had this bike for 2 months . . . bought it with 3500 miles from a 55 yr old gentleman.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Start by checking both the clutch cable adjustment and the clutch lever free-play adjustment. If neither of these help, I'd suspect a clutch problem (worn out, warped plates, etc).
I don't know what I'd say about the brake lever, other than they just don't break for no reason. Something has happened to it at some point, most likely an imapct. Any idea if the previous owner dropped the bike?
Ditto on the fairings; Kawasaki's build wuality is pretty darn good these days. My initial guess is that they have been replaced at some point, and again, I'd suspect the previous owner replaced them due to damage.
I'd also advise to spend some time going over your bike stem-to-stern. Check all fluid levels, fastener tightness, chain condition and adjustment, and so forth. Sounds like it's time for some TLC.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As soon as you said check the cable adjustment it just hit me. As I got off the bike tonight I remember that that clutch cable was a tad outta place after I replaced my fairings (I noticed it got tighter during left hand turns). I'm going to run out and check this right now and hopefully this will fix some of the problems? But would either of those adjustments have to do with not being able to bring the front tire off the ground in 1st gear?

·
Patriot Guard Rider
562 Posts
When I start my bike up and its cold outside (like 30 degrees or so) mine will jolt forward if I put it into gear without letting it warm up real good.

If the bike is not running and you pull in on the clutch the transmission still stays engaged until you push on the bike pretty hard.

Could it be weather/cold related??? Is the bike warmed up?

Just pulling at straws here.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
As soon as you said check the cable adjustment it just hit me. As I got off the bike tonight I remember that that clutch cable was a tad outta place after I replaced my fairings (I noticed it got tighter during left hand turns). I'm going to run out and check this right now and hopefully this will fix some of the problems? But would either of those adjustments have to do with not being able to bring the front tire off the ground in 1st gear?
Just sounds like the clutch is not engaging all the way. If its slipping your not getting all the power to the rear wheel all at once, and that could easily keep your front wheel on the ground.

Most likely your brake lever had been bent at one point and instead of being replaced it was bent back into shape causing the metal to fatigue.

·
nu2kawi
2,707 Posts
Sorry about the popping the clutch thing, thats the way I took it. The old man probably took it to its potential all the time instead of riding it like it was intended. Any problems when shifting, or going from neutral to first? Have you attempted any adjustment? Sorry to hear about your bike probs, I know someone who loves his bike too, but he thinks it's undestructable. It's the "now what" I have probs with and I know it's comming cause he doesn't take care of it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I haven't had any problems with going into/out of gear. Also, I haven't noticed any slipping of the clutch. I adjusted the clutch cable and it fixed the creeping motion from stand still, but the loss of power is still there.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No, I responded to both threads. The exhaust I took off was a Jardine slip-on and I only took off the rear piece.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts