Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say I was wondering if it is normal for my gas get lower without ridding it. It seems that I have a leak, but there is no evidence of a leak. What happened is when i came down from ND this year, I trailered it (and I now don't like trailering). I filled up the tank in memphis and rode around very little, loaded it back on the trailor and continued my travels. In texas I off loaded it and had less then half a tank. Again rode a little bit then loaded back on trailer and took 2 days to get to phx, off loaded here and tank was near empty.

Filled again and it set for 1.5 weeks and was empty again.

I is puzzled. I don't smell gas or see any wet spots. So what do I look for. Of course this does explain why I get better gas mileage the more I ride without letting bike set for any time.

later

·
Loud Pipes Keep Me Awake
1,648 Posts
How does the oil level look?

·
We need a Sarcasm Font!
3,864 Posts
Is there a chance someone is siphoning it off? Or do you keep it in a locked garage?

No, I'm serious!

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Gas can get into the oil by having a leaking petcock or a carb float valve seat clogged with crud. I'd suggest doing a sniff test before starting the bike up again at the oil fill opening.

If there is a strong gasoline smell, check what I mentioned above. Engine connecting rods can get bent if the oil level gets too high causing a hydrolock situation when you try to start.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
im betting you have a CRANKCASE FULL OF GAS now...... dont ride it till you make sure its not in the oil. also make sure its not in the cylinders before you try to start it again.... if its filled a cylinder and you try to start it , it will cause hydrolock and you could possibily bend a rod.....
bouncing around on the trailer unseats the needle in the carb and it flows freely into your motor past the rings....

·
97 D2 Rider
43 Posts
I had a Yam xs1100 that had vacuum controlled petcocks, and when they failed, my crankcase filled with gas, to the extent that the starter couldn't turn the motor over for a full revolution since the crankcase was full of gas. I have two Yam xs650 twins that now have manual petcocks because of this issue. By the way, the 1100 backfired and burned up, so it can be serious problem.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my bike is fuel injected so i dont have a petcock (that I can find)
I will open the oil cover and see if I smell gas in the oil. I checked the oil level and it is a little higher then it should be, but i also had my oil changed at the shop 2 mnths ago. I don't remember if I double checked there oil level after they serviced it. I'll probably have to siphon some out to see if it is gas and oil. I use synthetic so it should be noticeable.

·
97 D2 Rider
43 Posts
My 1985 Kawi Voyager is also fuel injected but it also has a manual petcock on the fuel tank, which always seemed strange since everything else was digital and automatic. Not familiar with the newer injection systems. Hope you have luck finding your solution

·
Registered
7 Posts
fuel injected bikes, especially sportbikes have a petcock attached to gas tank,, so you can shut off tank for removal ,, fuelinjection uses a fuel pump like auts to keep a constant pressure in your fuel line to injectors

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
I needed some gas, so siphoned it outta your tank.

·
Politicians' Nightmare
1,871 Posts
'07 VN 900 has FI with the fuel pump mounted to the underside of the gas tank and protruding into the tank. No petcock. Gasoline leaking into the crankcase isn't likely. I've had a problem like you describe after moving a bike (with carbs and positive shut off petcocks) via truck. Gas seemed to disappear until I got to my destination and used the bike a number of times, then the problem vanished.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well sucked out some of the oil. took about 8 oz to get the level to show in the window. It has a slight gas smell to it, but more importantly it smells old. Looks old and feels old. I had it in for servicing and about 500 miles ago and believed they changed my oil, guess they didn't. So gonna do a oil change and see if that fixes my disappearing gas thing. Need to check air filter too, cause with high oil level it tends to spit oil out into air box.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
actually it can drain gas into the crankcase just like carbs if an injector is sticking OPEN.... the pressure from the tank can still push fuel thru the pump/lines and out the injector... but from the sounds of it youre loosing ALOT of gas... so im guessing a leak elsewhere thats just drying up/evaporating and your not seeing it...

·
Registered
125 Posts
I will give a thought from my experience with cars,

for a simple check pull plugs & see if any or one is badly fouled with gas smell

when you was riding a bad injector could be wasting lots of gas.

have you been running idling it? most vehicles have a way to enrichen the fuel mix when the outside temps are cold & will consume alot more gas until the engine reaches operating temperature.

as for gas disapearing, is bike locked in a garage? or stored where neighbor hood kids, or hoodlums can get to it? with the price of gas these days? in my younger days I had some kids that were stealing my gas, I picked up a used gas tank in correct color & filled it with differet things, I sometimes used kerosene, diesel, but it didnt take but a few times, & my take was never messed with again, when I went to ride I just swapped tanks & rode. I had my bike chained to a post on carport.

fill gas tank, or at least partially, park motorcycle on a piece of cardboard with newspaper on top, now watch day by day for any leaks, or signs of.

gas does evaporate, but not that much in that quick of a time! especially with the cold temps we all have had lately.

Later,
Randy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts