Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1979 kz1000 ltd that I'm restoring. I've been at it for ayear and a half and getting close to done. I know, it's never "done" but I've got it close. Now I get this knocking banging thumping when I ride it and can't find it. It only happens when it's moving. It always had a little thump that I thought was a tire out of balance but now I wonder if it may be a bering or sprocket or? Any thoughts? the riding season is almost here.

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Can you block up the rear wheel,start it and put in in gear? This way you can see if the problem is due to : 1.Bent wheel/rim, 2.Wheel bearings, or 3. Drive shaft/chain/sprocket problems.

Chains/sprockets do wear out and need replacing, usually all together as old parts quickly will wear out new ones.

Some LTD's had a center stand, others did not, so I'm just suggesting if you can raise the rear wheel, this way troubleshooting can take place.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you block up the rear wheel,start it and put in in gear? This way you can see if the problem is due to : 1.Bent wheel/rim, 2.Wheel bearings, or 3. Drive shaft/chain/sprocket problems.

Chains/sprockets do wear out and need replacing, usually all together as old parts quickly will wear out new ones.

Some LTD's had a center stand, others did not, so I'm just suggesting if you can raise the rear wheel, this way troubleshooting can take place.
Thanks I'll check that. Mine dosen't have a center stand but I'm trying to get my friends bike jack to use. I hope it's the front sprocket as I have a spare that I got in a bach of parts I bought on Ebay

·
Lets Ride 08 900 Custom
852 Posts
Check the front wheel bearing, when my brothers Mean Streak lost the front bearing that was how he described it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts