Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, a buddy of mine and I are looking at riding up to Kentucky from his place outside of Charlotte NC. It is work related and I figure taking 2 days to get up there. I thought to stay mostly off the interstate and use the road less traveled. Have been looking at some suggestions on the American By Ways site and Motorcycle roads etc. Saw one place that looks cool to check out NADA tunnel. PArt of the route i have planned out takes us along the Ohio river at the Kentucky boarder. Any suggestions on other things to see or do? Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tell us where you are going in KY and I will try to give you some points of interest in my part of the state that you might like to see such as the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, KY

·
Machinist For Sale/Rent
1,234 Posts
NADA tunnel is almost in my back yard. 2days to ride 400 miles, are you serious?
email me your planned route, I'll post points of interest for it.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My map shows aprox 372 miles as planned. You dont think 2 days up is enough?? I 77 north out of Mooresville area to Staesville. Staesville north on US64 to US 321 @ Lenoir. 321 N to Johnson City Tn an on to I 26 for about 20 miles to by Kingsport. There the road changes names to US 23 N. Take that north to the boarder and then in Kentucky get on SR 15. Up by a Stanton get off onto SR 11 N, up to the Ohio boarder and then cross over onto US 52 and ride along the river a bit to around Cincinati and cross back over to finaly get to FLorence Ky.

·
Machinist For Sale/Rent
1,234 Posts
From where you start to where you want to be I would look at US52 all the way. I think it is plenty of time. I can be in Charlotte from Lexington in 6 or so hours on my 800

·
Registered
388 Posts
If you do decide to make it in 1 day start your day early as taking the back roads can be very time consuming..it took me and the wife 4 hours one time to ride 120 miles off the interstate..to this day I still haven't figured out what went wrong.. hehe!
T.O.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AS of now I think 2 days of riding. So one night in a hotel. But would still have to get a hotel for the second night as we wouldnt have to be to work over in Sparta until like noon or 1. So option 2 might be to swing it so we could just go over there on the second day. I think we would miss some neat sites over by the river though.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not exactly finalized yet. Still looking at options, but Bob there sent me some very nice info and I ploted it out on Google and also my map software and looks interesting. Mostly goes along I think it was US 52 follows the Ohio River up. But last night on the news I saw where there is a ton of flooding in W Va and I am wondering how the roads will be. Trip is to be last part of Aug first week or so of Sept.
Depending on what my riding partner decides we may go over to Telico Plains first then head up. Take a day go over that way and then head north. If he wants to take the time. Its OK by me only like 1 more day on the road I think.

·
Machinist For Sale/Rent
1,234 Posts
We were in WVa last year, visited the Matewan area(famous for the union coal mine wars and Blair Mt feud, just south of the Hatfield/McCoy feud area) and there had been a major flood there in May. Matewan flood
We were there about 6 weeks later and all major routes were completely open.
Crossing over to Tellico will take you across the Cherohala Skyway, absolutely beautiful, even in the heat of August. Put your rain gear on top of the bags, you may need it on a moments notice up there

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea Bob, the wife and I were in Maggie Valley last Aug. We were driving from Cherokee over to Gattlinberg. Stopped to see so sites at various turn offs. As we were mounting up it started to sprinkle a little, but in distance you could see it was heavier. So we suited up. Still heading to Gattlinberg and about 5 miles from the turn off we were getting rained on so hard like 20-25 mph is all you dared to do. By the time we got to Gattlinberg we were soaked. No place easy to get off and rest up or get a bite, everthing is parking a block or more off main drag and not easy plus pay to park alot of it. So we figured we were already wet and just headed back to our room in Maggie. Unfortunatly that sort of killed the wife wanting to go ride the Cherola Pky the next day.

·
Machinist For Sale/Rent
1,234 Posts
So, whats the latest on this? We might slide down and meet you guys a couple or three hundred from destination and ride back with you

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yup its still on BOB. Actually a buddy of mine from down here in FL has decided to go with me too. Will leave Fl the Aug 30 and go to Charlotte. Leave Charlotte 31 and go to Ashland and my friend in NC has a realtive that is going to let us stay there the night. Then the 1st we will make the short treck across to SParta Ky for work and actually stay in Florence KY. Will leave up there Sat the 4th in the AM maybe 7 ish and head south on I 75 to Knoxville and then over to Cherola Skyway and points east and south. I will have to spend the night in Madison Ga before making it the rest of the way home.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts