Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I'm having some trouble with my 1988 ex500. It's my first bike and i really don't know to much about yet. I just replaced the engine (it's a 2001 engine in it now) and I've noticed that my bike seems to be running really hot.

I know it's the summer and I know I ride it fairly hard but I'm out on the highway and my heat will start creeping up there. I've yet to hit the red but it comes real close. This can happen after a short ride or after four hours of riding without any problems. I'm also refilling the water/coolant almost daily. theres no sign of leaking EXCEPT when the bike is hot, then from a tube (i'm sure it's an over flow) coolant and water comes out until the bike cools down. I've also noticed that my fan doesn't always run. It's actually sparadic in it's running. sometimes it comes on at a low temp sometimes at a high. sometimes it won't come on at all.

I really want to get out there for some good long rides in the summer weather but I don't want to damage the engine. anyone have any suggestions? ideas? any kind of help i can get would be good.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Your fan is activated by a temperature switch which usually doesn't work very good. My ninja 600R went through 4 of those temperature switches before I decided to just hard wire it my key switch. So now my fan runs whenever the ignition is in the "ON" position. I recommend you do the same to save yourself money on those temperature switches and frustration. It isn't very hard to do if you have basic electrical knowledge.

-Sam

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
If your fan and temp sensor are all in order AND you have flushed your system, what you can do to run cooler is change your mix of antifreeze. Instead of 50/50 mix, add more distilled water.

Another way to do it is 80% distilled water (demineralized is better) and 20% water wetter.

Now don't forget to dump your coolant at the end of the season and put back your anti freeze otherwise you will have problems for the winter if it gets cold in addition to having corrosion set it without the proctection of the antifreeze.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts