Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Need some advice on a new set of pipes. I know this gets talked about quite often but even searching I have yet to see anyone do "sound comparisons". I'm currently riding my vn900 with hard krome 2-1 sideburners and after awhile the noise is just TOO MUCH. My bike has become a road tripper commuter not just a town cruiser so im looking for something quieter. The pipes im looking at are HK res-techs, cobra speedster longs, HK big straights and maybe the roadhouse res-tech that are out there. I know that all these pipes are loud but at least the sound will be commin out the back end of the bike instead of into my right ear like the sideburner. honestly, I'm thinking that the cobra longs are the best option because of the price but I really like the look of the hks and if the res-techs are that much more quiet i'd might be willing to pony up the xtra cash. can someone with experience help give me some advice on which are gonna be more quiet or if they are about the same?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I do have the smartparts quiet baffle.. It takes off some of the edge but its still really loud. Would it work to try and insert an aftermarket baffle for a different set of pipes? I would think a guy could do it but would be some work and take some special tuning. I even thought about wrapping tape around the current baffle type thing inside the pipe. I wish they made an insert baffle for the pipe but unfortunately they dont (the smart parts baffle simply is like a tube that bolts in "to create some compression<-I think" which quiets it down some but the pipe itself still comes out right behind yer right ear.

·
Workin' to ride
559 Posts
what about putting the stockers back on?
That's what I was going to suggest. I doubt if any of those aftermarket pipes are going to be all that much quieter. My Cobra Speedster Slashdowns are pretty loud...I wear earplugs all the time, even in town.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't have the stocks. I bought the bike used and the sideburner came with the bike. I might be interested in buyin some stock pipes if the price was right though, I do think the stocks seem too quiet.

It's sounding like there isn't that much difference between the sideburner and any other pipes out there. I'm not looking for silence I just want somethin that isnt setting off car alarms in 2nd gear and makin yer head explode when doin 70.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I think you can take stock and drill holes, or completely remove baffles. Not sure about the loudness at that point. I have Cobras, and they are LOUD. So just switching to other straight pipes may not help ya. But at 70 mph the wind noise will about over take most noise anyway. Maybe consider ear plugs.

·
just cruzin by!
1,398 Posts
|I have hk strippers and the are deafening!!! I wear earplugs most all the time except when riding around town under 50mph.There are several types of earplugs out there even the ones that mold into your ear for swimming.If I were you i would try the earplugs first.You can get them in the hunting dept. at wally world or any place that has a medical isle like hyvee or walgreen.they do make the ride more enjoyable and not so tense on the highway.

·
Recycled Rider
583 Posts
|You can get them in the hunting dept. at wally world or any place that has a medical isle like hyvee or walgreen.they do make the ride more enjoyable and not so tense on the highway.
I believe it's either Winchester or Remington earplugs at Walmart that work best for my ears.
I started using ear plugs in '84 when I bought a '78, KZ750 with a two into one pipe. Sounded great but hurt on the highway. Been a believer ever since.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
man those sound nice. I really like the fact I can put in baffles too.. I got the sideburner with the bike i might see if i can find the roadhouse somewhere on the cheap

·
Registered
219 Posts
I had cobra shotguns on my v-star 1100. They were sweet around town but obnoxiously loud on the freeway. When I bought my Vulcan 1500 I switched to Vance & Hines Long Shots. These have a deeper, richer sound, not as loud. But they're not as loud primarily because the 1500 engine is running at a much lower rpm than my 1100 was; they'd be just as loud on the v-star...

No matter what you put on a 900cc engine for pipes, once you get up to freeway cruising speeds (75-80 mph) your rpm's are going to be so high that the pipes are going to be loud, I would think painfully so. I'd say don't waste your money on another set of pipes. If you want something quieter you may have to go back to stock pipes or buy a bigger bike.

windman

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I like my cobra speedsters. Not too bad you can ride without earplugs if you choose to. If you're looking for quiet I would highly recommend Roadhouse pipes. A friend with and 800 has those and they are much quieter than my Speedsters. Low rumble, louder than stock, but can't hear him more than about a block away. Where as my speedster's are audible for about 3 blocks under reasonable riding. Full throttle they WILL **** off the neighbors.

·
2x the bike for 1/2 the $
1,175 Posts
I've never heard any aftermarket pipes that could be considered 'quiet'. I also agree that going to the stock pipes is your best bet. They're not SUPER quiet to observers. Riders just feel like they are because as soon as you're riding at a decent speed, wind noise overpowers the rider's perception of the exhaust sound.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.