Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm newly addicted to riding, and so far I've been on a borrowed VN750. I've been cleaning it up and keeping it in my garage in exchange for use of the bike.

In the meantime, I've been looking for a bike to call my own. I've found a 1998 VN1500 Classic with only 8600 miles for $5500. I rode it today and now I want it! I'd like some opinions on what to expect from this bike, is that a good price, available goodies, etc. It comes with aftermarket hard saddlebags and Cobra pipes. I'll probably keep the bags in the garage until it's time for a long haul. I'd also like to get a sissy bar and luggage rack to keep on full time. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thats not much mileage at all and if its been taken care of, look into it. It is 6 years old but the years dont matter. If he has hard bags on it and cobra pipes, your looking at about $800 installed for the pipes and at least $400 for the bags, maybe more. A new 1500 goes for about 10 or 11 thousand dollars. All your picking up by buying a new one is 8600 miles. Add in the pipes and bags? Not a bad price. Ya really dont have to buy new. Hey, I bought mine in 2002, its not new anymore but that means nothing since I finally got it dressed the way I wanted it. I have 5000 miles on mine. Thats just like new. 8600 miles? Thats new. Time marches on. Your color? your style bike? Looks good to you? I'd take it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm calling the bank tomorrow to try and arrange $$$. It's definitely my style, color is black (can't go wrong), and the price is certainly right. It's more bike than I was looking for, but the more I think about it the more I want it. Besides, the guy is a USMC officer in flight school. He'll be deployed in another 9-12 months. He needs the $$ and doesn't have time to ride now anyway. Semper fi!

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Welcome scropelite! :)

I think you'll be happy with the bike. Maybe ask for maintenance records and for any recall work that may have been done to it. With regular maintenance on it....it should last you quite awhile. If you buy it....be sure to post some pics.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Welcome scropelite

Have you checked with any dealers for a price on a new bike? I pick up a '03 1600 classic for $8,200 OTD in spring of '04. I also went with kawasaki credit with a $39.00 payment & 3.99% intrest for the first 3 years. (yes, I always pay more)

I would try to talk him down some. I looked it up on NADA & KBB & they show $4,000 + some for extras.

You have nothing to loose by trying to talk him down .

good luck gjr

1 - 5 of 5 Posts