Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got interested in bikes, especially the 2001 ZX1200A, mainly because i own one, and the thing is that its in a pretty bad shape.
there is no headlights, no inginition, no battery, it needs new body work, i can't get in the gas tank to fill it up because its locked, the tires are bald, and im missing alot of screws (meaning alot of parts are loose, like the gas tank. and all I know is the this bike is a monster, and the repair manuals cost about $50 and can only be found on the internet
oh, and i got a new computer installed
i've had this bike for two months and i haven't even heard the engine yet
right know the frame, where the gauges are, is loose, because of missing screws.

If im throw this all out of proportion, then im sorry. i just need alot of help. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
With all that work to do, why did you buy it then?

Ok, now that the question has been asked...

What did you need help with so we can try to answer your questions?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it was a gift, the bike was given to me like that,
my question is if the bike has been laid down then does this mess up anything?
my next question is where can find parts for this bike?
and lastly is there anyone in this forum that owns a zx1200a that i could talk to.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Very cool gift. See if you can find out what happened to the bike and history of its maintenance....Barring that, then you are starting from scratch.

If the bike was laid down, many things could be wrong, but if it only slid or got knocked over, then it is less likely. The most important being if the frame was bent?

Stop freaking out now that you read the above.....

Everything can be fixed or replaced. You will need patience and get together more information to put it back together though.

Parts can be found on ebay, salvage yards or picking up another zx1200a in poor condition and taking two bikes and making them into one and selling everything else off.

Look in the yellow pages for salvage yards, talk to your local kawasaki dealer as they may have a salvage yard connection.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, thanks. im a little bit more calm.
so, these salvage yards is that like junk yards for bikes?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Junk yard, salvage yard, pick a part places...all the same. Also, if you have the time and effort you can find out what your local insurance companies do with there totalled bikes. Most cases they sell those off and you may be able to find one that way cheap.

Get some business cards made with your computer (Avery Labels) and put your name, phone number and in search of ZX1200A bikes and parts!

Once others from the board chime in, you may be able to make a connection to help you find the parts that you need.

Ya need a service manual too!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

whats a new one worth? 11 grand?

are you gonna do the work? and just have to pay for parts?

sounds like your gonna basically build a sportbike :shock: every single inch of that machine
is going to have to be gone over. if you love the bike and your willing to put up with
some headaches-go for it!

parts won't be a problem since its a new bike-so i'd prolly start looking for some more
wrecked ones since this one cost zip,zero,nadda-and scavage what you can,but your gonna have to have some new parts as well i'm sure

good luck !!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the tip
I'm willing to build it again, but :? i don't have the knowlegde to do that,
so a service repair manual is really helpful or should i get help from experienced motorists?
so for now i'll keep in touch with this website, and look for a junkyard with my parts in it.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Find a local motorcycle club that you like and they can help you one on one typically.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

yep - i'd get some expertise on the initial tear down from someone familiar with that
model to look for hidden damage(frame welds,bent downtubes,etc) and get a good survey

you can always have a "biker build party" invite some folks over break out the
refreshments,turn up the music,and break out the wrenches :lol: :wink:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:lol: lol maybe i should do that party, by the time the parties over i'll find some pieces missing, like the exaust
ne-wayz i'd be lucky to find someone that knows about this bike.
well, my search continues....

·
Registered
605 Posts
One great thing about e-bay is people buy wholesale and then sale so they get some profit but you also get a lot in savings.

One thing that you're going to love is bolt kits that are polished so normally you would replace one bolt at a time with the same bolt, in your case you can buy it and a repair manual and put one screw in at a time. I'm not sure if they come with frame bolts but many of them go up to like 150-200 bolts depending on the bike, that 20-30 dollar item will save you a lot of grief

Make sure you have all the bolts in place before you do the work, get on the bike and find out you don't have them all at 50 mph

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:shock: 150-200. well, i found a bike shop with some help

they got me the bolt kit, and all i need is the repair manual to come in from the mail.

thanks, I'll keep you posted on my progress, and for any more questions.

·
RUN AWAY!
944 Posts
Where are the pictures!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts