Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 360 miles away from my parents and relatives. I need an opinion with my current tires. Will I take a big risk to take a trip with the condition of these tires? I don't have cash to get new tires for now. I want to spend Thanksgiving with family. Thanks.

·
Lets Ride 08 900 Custom
852 Posts
I wouldn't have a problem with those for that distance, just keep the speed down a bit to keep the heat down. Tires wear faster with the heat they make, and they heat up easier when their thin. But you should be OK.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I agree with the above response. DO NOT ride in any rain. YOu would have a big possibility to hydroplane with no tread remaining. Other than that, road debris is more problmeatic but you should be able to make it.

Save some cash and replace soon. Your life is valuable.

But to each his own.

R, Todd

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Get a tire guage they're only 4-5 bucks. 1millimeter replace, 2 millimeter do not exceed 70, 3 millimeter 80 and under, over 3 top speed.

Picture on the left looks to be hitting the warning track, 3 millimeter but your front is in the 70 or less zone. If you don't have money to replace both replace your front. If you don't have money for either consider caging it or Greyhound if you don't have a car. 800 miles both ways??? be careful. One way, don't go.

American Motorcycle Tire and a set of spoons, cheapest fix. Course, not by tomorrow.

·
living in 3/4 time
321 Posts
If you have to ask, you need new tires. If you can't afford them use your thumb, because if you make have the trip and get a flat or blowout a tire you probably cannot afford the tow. If you can afford the tow, then buy new tires!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys,
I lost my house and my truck due to job cut. My bike is the only means of my transportation. I don't have proper gear to protect me if the tire blows while I am riding. Also don't have the winter gear. I think I will call it off. I will wait until I have money for gear and tires.

·
PColaFl V2K LT
3,224 Posts
You don't need a tire gauge when you can clearly see the wear bar is even with the tread. It's time to get a tire but I would, and have, run 800 miles on a tire like that on a bike that eats tire worse then yours. Ride it for now and get ready to get a new one before you ride any further then your round trip.

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
When my tires looked like that it didn't take long for them to go bald. I think 360 mi even if each way you'll be fine but be carefull if riding in rain.

·
just cruzin by!
1,398 Posts
I replaced my stock tire at 2mm because it only take about 300 miles or less on the highway to wear down to 1mm and Im always on the highway.If I were you I would not go on the bike.If you can find somebody with a car and no family in town maybe you could get them to join in the trip and give up a little cash for gas money.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I'd chance it as long as I had a good Visa and cell. Keep the speed reasonable and don't over load the bike I think you will be OK.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts