Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find some new bars for my Mean Streak that bring the grips back about 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 inches and possibly a bit higher (but not any lower). I've looked at catalogs and done internet searches but can't seem to find anything that will definitely do what I need. Has anybody else replaced the bars on their Mean Streak, and if so, what did you use (and where did you find it!?!).

Thanks for any help you can give me!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How did they just replace the risers when the T-bars on the Mean Streak are all welded into one piece?

I'm not particularly mechanically inclined, so I'd probably have to have my Kawi dealer do this swap for me.

I end up leaning a bit too far forward, which invariably puts a crick in my neck, so I'm looking for more comfort, although I would be happy to add a little snazz, and those risers are bitchin'!

Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

screamin- check this guy also,he makes risers just for the meanie:

http://www.geocities.com/my00se/risers.html

:lol: i forgot,your right, they are welded :p guess that's why everybody changes bars too :D
the couple i've seen have either the aeromach 35deg pullback bars or
the ness bars-and new cables were not needed. a 7"riser will block the
view of the speedo so get a 6" rise and if you go more than 35deg on the bars,make sure the controls don't hit the tank at hard over :wink:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm having a hard time figuring out which bars will work with these risers. I love the Aeromach risers, so I'd like to go in that direction, but I don't like the 35-degree drag bars. I'm wondering if there are any other bars which would give me the pullback I want.

Has anybody tried those extensions that work with the existing bars? I'm not sure I like how they look...

Help?!?!?

·
Registered
458 Posts
screaminmeanie

I would like to make a change to my bars also. What are the extensions you mentioned? I haven't been able to find them.

I'm not sure what Kawasaki is thinking on these bars. I thought I could get used to them after trading in my Vulcan 800, but am having some difficulty.

The ergonomics of the bars and pegs on the Meanie seem suited for chimpanzees. Short legs and long arms.

Now they have gone and welded the bars to the risers so you have to change the whole setup, instead of just adding risers.

Maybe some aftermarket bars will come out that will allow a swap and still be able to keep the stock cable lengths.

·
Registered
458 Posts
screaminmeanie

Thanks for the reply. I will check out the extentions.

I appreciate that you will report on the risers and 35 degree bar and have the stones to go ahead and try it. I was concerned about not knowing which bars to get and how they would be lock to lock, etc.

I only got my new scoot on tuesday and I keep telling myself I will get used to it.

Good luck. I hope all goes well.

·
Registered
458 Posts
screaminmeanie

Just checked the risers at the site you posted.

They look to me like all they do is raise the bars with no pull back. I think the bars need a bit of both.

I think I will wait for your report.

Thx again

·
Registered
181 Posts
Wow I am sorry to hear that y'all don't like the stock bars. I have just bought this bike, have only put about 100 miles on it, and have found it to be the most comfortable thing I have sat on in a long time. Plus the look of those drag bars is awesome. Anyway I would love to see pictures once you get them mounted. BTW I am only 5'7" and never considered myself to be a chimp. :lol:

·
Registered
458 Posts
noj70

Congrats on the new scoot.

I'm 5'9" and my shirts are 32 sleeve. No chimp either :wink:

I did take the bike out for a 80 mile run yesterday and found that if I slide a bit forward on the seat it's not so bad. Getting better all the time.

I guess I got so used to the VN800 and the higher bars and leaning back some that it takes a little getting used to for the new one.

This bike is such an advance over the 800. It like going from a sedan to a sports car and I really like the low maintenance compared to the old ride.

I'm off for another ride tommorow, before the heat gets bad. Gotta get used to the bars. Any excuse :D

·
Registered
181 Posts
If the sun would come out I would have an excuse to ride. It has been raining all week here :( and I am only home for 3 more days, then off to work for 7. I sure hope this pattern of rain while I am in and sun while I am at work quits real soon.

·
Registered
837 Posts
noj70,i got lucky this time,im at work this week with all the rain here and will go in wednseday for my week off also so i hope my week is rain free so i can cruise a little and go catch me some reds and trout in the bay. 8) daughter grads from college tuesday nite so i get to go in a day early :)

·
Registered
458 Posts
noj70

Just got back from a 150 mile ride. Went up north a bit for breakfast.

65 and sunny when we left at 7:00. 95 and sunny when we got back.

I did get wet though. :)

Went through a wash area that runs across the road. It hasn't rained here for over a month and I thought it was my imagination. Slowed down to about 35-40 mph before I hit it, and it was a 4 inch deep stream about a foot wide. Must be from irrigation run off. Got my left foot wet and spots on the bike. :cry:

Needed a good cleaning anyway. The guys at the dealer didn't do a great job.

BTW, the bars are fitting better every mile.

Hope you get some sun soon. It's fun out there. :D

·
Registered
181 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol: Yipee the sun finally showed us it's face today!!! Took a 60 mile ride and absolutely enjoyed myself. I only had to turn around once due to water running over the road, I did not want to take a chance. Now if I could just relax enough to keep my hands and wrists from cramping up I will be fine. Thinking that I just have to get used to riding again. Love this bike though.

·
Registered
458 Posts
noj70 said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Yipee the sun finally showed us it's face today!!! Took a 60 mile ride and absolutely enjoyed myself.

Now if I could just relax enough to keep my hands and wrists from cramping up I will be fine. Thinking that I just have to get used to riding again. Love this bike though.
Good on ya.

I've was riding my VN800 all winter with no cramps. My 15 mile trip from the dealer on the new scoot got my hands a bit crampy too. Tension. Now with 250 on the odometer, no problems. :D

·
Registered
181 Posts
[quote=" Tension. Now with 250 on the odometer, no problems. :D[/quote]

Good to know.
Hey bud8fan (by the way wonderful name, if we have 1 more kid it will be #8 and I hope to name him Dale :D ) I assume you work in the oilfield, what do you do? I am in production and work on a platform 80 miles east of Venice, LA.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've found that on short rides (less than 100 miles) I don't tend to have a problem with the bar position. It's the longer rides that get me - I end up with my head cocked back, and then my neck and shoulders are toast for the rest of the day. I've put close to 2K on my meanie so far, and it took me until about 1500 miles to decide I really needed different bars. I've also got pretty long legs (32" inseam), which kind of tilts my pelvis backwards, so that combined with leaning my upper body forward is what's causing the problem, I think.

Other than the bar position, I LOOOOVVVE the bike!

BTW, the Aeromach risers are on 2-week backorder, so check back in a few weeks for me to let y'all know how well the new bars/risers work.

Cheers!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Aeromach Risers and Handlebars

I read this string of e-mails related to the Mean Streak's handlebars and it sounds like a number of people are thinking about getting the Aeromach risers and handlebars. For what it's worth I thought I'd let you know about my experience - I had the risers and handlebars installed a couple months ago and I think they're excellent. They provide about 2" of additional pullback, there's no difference in the bike's handling (which is good), and they look great. I was apprehensive changing the handlebars because I really liked how the stock bars looked, but the Aeromach risers and bars look sharp; I think they look equal or better than the stock bars. I was pleasantly surprised. I also added Kuryakin ISO grips which I like.

A lot of people love how the stock bike fits them, but I found that although I got used to the stock handlebars, it just wasn't as comfortable as I would have liked. It was frustrating because in every other way the bike was - and is - incredible. These Aeromach bars definitely helped alot. It makes the bike a lot more comfortable for me. (I'm 5'8" if that matters to anyone.) Also, I know a lot of people who like Chuck's risers, but I think Aeromach's provide greater pullback; Chuck's give some pullback, but more height. There's a link to his website in a prior e-mail. Anyway, just wanted to share my experience in case it helps someone whose thinking about getting new risers and/or handlebars.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts