Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi well ive been in the proces of replacing the seels on my front forks...the only place im stuck is removing the damping rod... the manual ( haynes) says to use the Kawi tool to hold it in place while you use an alen key on teh bottom to turn it out.. well ive tryed to make one 13/16 it beilve is the right size but dont have anything long enough to reach down in side.. also the alen key that fits strips every time i jsut try to turn it... jsut wondering what is the right size for the home made tool that goes inside the fork... also do i really need to take it compeltly apart to get hte seel out or can i jsut pry it out and replace it that way?????

Thanks

Dan

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
first of all, THE RIGHT TOOL FOR THE JOB is needed here.
you DO NOT have to have the damper rod holding tool. ive done alot of these forks and never had the tool.
make sure you have the right SIZE allen wrench for the bolt at the bottom. if you strip this you will have to DRILL off the bolt head to get the internals out (been here done this)
if you can go see a shop and hit a machanic up, he will have a long enough allen wrench and a AIR IMPACT GUN. that is your best bet. if you cant get to a mech. then hopefully you have a vise. put a rag in the vise and put the fork bottom in it. put your allen wrench in the bolt head. put something on the allen wrench to give you LEVERAGED (longest box end wrench you have will work) just take it nice and easy and it will break loose.
you can replace the seals withoug pulling it all apart but its a PITA and more time consuming from what ive seen.
get two long (2") self tapping screws, pull the retainer ring off the top of the seal, screw the two screws down into the seal, just keep working back and forth on each screw and MAYBE it will pop the seal out.
when/if you get them apart, you should check your bushings also. how many miles on the bike ?
good luck

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey thanks buddy ill try that out.... so why do they tell you you need to hold the dampener form the inside then???? my bike have 33 thousand Km on it..

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
its all about procedure :roll: like i said , MAKE SURE THE ALLEN WRENCH IS A TIGHT FIT ! or youll stip it out and that sucks :!:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks again... well i made the damping holding tool and got an allen wrench that fits better but i jsut cant get that thing to budge.... wish i had a vise.. :D

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
71_307 said:
thanks again... well i made the damping holding tool and got an allen wrench that fits better but i jsut cant get that thing to budge.... wish i had a vise.. :D
LEVERAGE MY FRIEND !! get the longest bar/wrench on that allen

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya i should do that... its a 6mm allen i no that for a fact cuz 5 is to small 8 is too big and then dont make a 7 for some reason... but it feels like it is rounding the bolt so i dont no... 6mm feels jsut a tad lose but theres no otehr wrench to use...ill have to try and fidn some one with a vise this weekend and bust that bitch out :D havent riden my bike in 2 weeks going on 3 now... im going through major with drawal hope i remeber how to ride :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts