Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a replacement halogen high watt headlight bulb for my 1980 KZ 440? Also interested in a conversion kit to get rid of points, and go to electronic ignition. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i used an h4 off road super blue on mine, seems much brighter to me. i found mine at a small bike shop here locally, other wise you might be able to find one in a local auto parts store. good luck

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Ignition

Call Beartooth and ask them about the conversion 1-800-556-3098 !!!

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have a friend that built his own ignition with some old transitiors. It runs just fine with them, are you feeling adventerous?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Are you sure you're running a KZ440? They have electronic ignition. The 400's had points, and a kickstarter, as well.

·
Rider
561 Posts
I'm looking for a brighter headlight bulb for my KZ440. What's the headlight bulb part number, (22-309 or H4)?

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
I'm looking for a brighter headlight bulb for my KZ440. What's the headlight bulb part number, (22-309 or H4)?
If it's a 7" round lamp, chuck it and put in a standard round halogen headlight for a car. That's what I did on my 1979 KZ 750. It's about 5X as bright as the old incandescent lamp with bulbs, but draws the same amount of current.

·
Rider
561 Posts
Would the "car" headlight plug into the KZ440 connector? Will it fit the bezel?

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
Would the "car" headlight plug into the KZ440 connector? Will it fit the bezel?
It did on my 1979 KZ 750 with no mods at all. If your bike takes a standard 7" round headlamp, it probably will fit right in. The electrical connector at the back should have three prongs which are flat and about 1/4" wide (each).

·
Rider
561 Posts
It's a 7" round light. I believe the light part number is H6024 or H4.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was looking to replacve the light on my 82 KZ440 but how do I mount the standard 7" light as the mounting looks like its built into the back of the bulb?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts