Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
cruisin'
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I've finally decided to get an aftermarket exhaust for the '03 Nomad. I need some input from those who know(you guys), on what to get. I'm tired of the "sewing machine" whine of the stock pipes and want something with some rumble. Not loud, but rather a deep, "means business" rumble. I know V&H, Cobra, Jardine and several others all make quality pipes, I just don't know what would sound good on this beast. Also, will there be anything else I'll need to do? Any fuel/air mixture adjustments, etc.???? All input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

·
cruisin'
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was cruising the Cobra site and found these. I like the way these look on the "pipe" side. I'm curious to see what she looks like on the other side. I also read the instructions. It states at the bottom Cobra recommends the installation of a fuel processor. Is this a necessary evil?

Thanks...

Attachments

·
Alf not Elf
3,412 Posts
Ah the speedster longs. It is kind of funny when I think of exhaust for the Nomad duals running down each side like the V&H baggers or the Cobra true duals come to mind. But the longs do not look bad either. I have them on my 900 LT.

·
Does anyone read these?
173 Posts
NIGHTHAWK1;9189 It states at the bottom Cobra recommends the installation of a fuel processor. Is this a necessary evil? [/QUOTE said:
My HardKromes said the same thing. I think ALL pipes come with that suggestion. Like everyone told me when I asked, if you only do pipes, you'll be OK with the stock fuel system. It's when you mess with increasing the air flow that you'll lean out the mixture and need a fuel processor.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Roadhouse Doolies.
Best sounding pipes available for the 1500/1600 engine.

Not cheap, but deep, powerful sounding, without being too loud, and they retain the "bagger" look being duals.

·
Minimizing the Regrets!
1,684 Posts
Yeah, what Rich said! +1 The Roadhouse produces as good of power and torque of any aftermarket pipe out there, if not the best. Others who know have said this too. Good luck with it all. Bob '05 Limited

·
President, L7 Club
462 Posts
Nighthawk1,

You won't need anything else if you're JUST adding pipes. You'd only need to rejet your carb if you throw more air down the motor's throat via an aftermarket air intake kit, or similar.

I have a FI model (2006 Nomad) with the V&H Baggers. I am in the same boat with you: I don't want a LOUD pipe, just something with some beef to it. I got it with the Baggers. In my research I only considered the V&H and the Cobra dualies. The Cobra's are louder according to input from owners of, but the Baggers had an issue with one of the bends cracking. However, on that last note, newer owners of the V&H reported no problems with the bend cracking, so I went with V&H on the assumption that they resolved the issue. I've only had my pipes for the 3 months or so that I've had the bike, and no issues thus far, but it's early.

They mellow to a nice tone on the highway and can easily "bark" when I want to show off or pretend I'm a bad *** and crack the throttle for no apparent reason! Usually it's to get a cute girl to look;)

The baffle is removeable if you want to try that and hear how loud it is without them. I haven't gone there: 1. because I like how they sound as is; and 2. I'm too afraid to start messing with the exhaust system, afraid I'll screw something up!

Looks-wise, both are similar. Slightly wider diameter end pipes than stock with a bias-cut instead of the tapered end.

There ARE things you can do to the stockers that'll change the note (sound), but once you drill them, there's no going back. I considered this option, but if Cali goes to smog checks for motorcycles, I wanted a complete system up in my garage rafters to swap back on piecemeal.

Hope this helps,
DS

·
cruisin'
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I'm going to go with the Cobra True Duals with the billet tips. It'll be next month before I order though. Till then, I'll just be patient. Thanks for all the suggestions.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
One of the guys in my club found the Baggers to be too loud on long road trips. He recommended the Doolies to me, but I couldn't swing the $700 at the time and instead got the V&H BigShots.

Once again, I screwed myself by not spending a few extra bucks.

Really cool thing about the Doolies is you have your selection of tips... tapered, slashcut (no taper), Sharkfin/Fishtail, and "Cadillac"/Fishtail.
The Cadillac are symmetrical top and bottom, the Sharkfin are more like the Harley, but a little wider and not radiused at the back:

You can get them with flat (like stock) or ribbed (like an old Buick) headers
Here's a soundclip from their web site on a Vulcan 1500:
http://www.roadhousebrand.com/Merchant2/soundclips/kawasaki1500.wav

·
Still Kickin
149 Posts
Roadhouse Doolies.
Best sounding pipes available for the 1500/1600 engine.

Not cheap, but deep, powerful sounding, without being too loud, and they retain the "bagger" look being duals.
Rich is right about the Doolies. I have them on my 07 Nomad and I love 'em. They are as loud as I would want to go with pipes. In case they are too loud, they also make a "quiet core".

Mike

·
cruisin'
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sound clip on the Roadhouse sounds good, but $700 clams is too much for pipes, IMO. I've had Cobras on my Shadow and liked them, so I'm thinking of going that route. Anyone know where I can get a sound clip of the Cobra true duals?

Thanks...

·
Alf not Elf
3,412 Posts
Sound clip on the Roadhouse sounds good, but $700 clams is too much for pipes, IMO. I've had Cobras on my Shadow and liked them, so I'm thinking of going that route. Anyone know where I can get a sound clip of the Cobra true duals?

Thanks...
Go to you tube search Cobra duals there are a couple of sound videos and one showing the pipes being put on.

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
v&h bagger

My 01 Nomad came w/ V&H pipes on it and I love em. It's loud enough when you really put the wood to it, but very nice in the all-round.

my bike does not have a processor, and runs just fine.

Cobra speedster longs also sound really nice, you lose a little GC on the pipe side?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I have a 2 to 1 roadhouse on my Nomad and love it. Sounds great,easy to clean your bike and put air in the rear tire,good tork.

·
cruisin'
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well folks, I had found a set of Cobra True Duals, slashdown, on Ebay for $279 new plus $19 shipping. I got them yesterday and they look great. I'll be putting them on this weekend and post a pic when I'm done.

Thanks...

·
cruisin'
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got the Cobra's on and took her for a spin. These pipes are nice and exactly what I was looking for. They're quiet at idle and at speed, but have a real nice growl when I accelerate hard. Here's a few pics.

·
PColaFl V2K LT
3,224 Posts
YEP, They look great. Mighty fine, mighty fine. Thou, that garage needs some work. Way to clean and organized.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts