Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· The little guy said it.
17,961 Posts
Planning on taking three months off work in about 3 years and need to plan my around the U.S. ride. Please let me know what parts of your state I should ride through and where I should avoid. Places I should stop at. I love historic sites and museums. Oh, I will be planning leaving Washington state the middle/end of June.Thanks for your help.
If you happen to travel the shoreline of the New England states, I'd like to recommend riding through Groton, Connecticut and stopping at the Sub Force museum. Then continue northward to Boston and the USS Constitution, and then on to Battleship Cove, where you can take a tour of a Russian missile corvette:

Also, riding through Vermont is beautiful in the summer.

17,961 Posts
Wow. Alabama must be real bad if you are promoting Massachusetts. :shock:
LOL

But in all seriousness, try to avoid Boston traffic if you can. Park the your car or bikes a few miles out of town (at a hotel or motel you may be staying at) and take the local commuter rail line or the "T" into Boston to do the tourist thing.

Central and western Ma has many scenic areas to visit if you get a chance to visit. PM if you plan to visit and I will try to get a list of places to check out.

P.S. I am SOOO jealous of your plans. :(
Nah, I've only been in Alabama for about a year and 6 months, mostly in school, so I haven't had much time to explore the state. There's really not much in this state though, except to Barber motorsports museum up in Talladega. That place is the only place in the state I know of that's a good place to visit on your way through.

There's also Callaway Gardens in Georgia, just inside of the state line as you're leaving Alabama via I-85 North.

17,961 Posts
If you do come to Bama try to check out the USS Alabama in Mobile. I have been there several times as a kid, and have take my kids as well. Not only do they have the USS Alabama, but they also have the USS Drum, a Tuskegee Airman P-51 Mustang, several tanks and aircraft. You might also like the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola, Fl (very cool place and just a short ride from Mobile).
USS ALABAMA BATTLESHIP
National Naval Aviation Museum - Welcome Main Page
What, no mention of the A-12 variant of the SR-71? ;)

And when did they landlock the diesel boat? The last time I saw her she was still afloat - but that was back in '92.

17,961 Posts
Found another interesting piece of history worth visiting - the largest non-experimental strategic bomber ever produced in the history of the United States, the B-36 Peacemaker:

Pima Air and Space Museum

It's in Tucson, AZ.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.