Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi~ I am new to your forum as well as a new bike owner. I just two weeks ago purchased a 1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic and the person I purchased it from had no real info on the bike as she just acquired the bike and did not have any cares in the world about it (Got the impression in her eyes it was just a big piece of junk). One person's junk is MY treasure! It has sat in the middle of her garage for some time and she just wanted to get rid of it! I am needing to know what type of Oil to use in this bike (any help appreciated). I have drained the gas that was in the tank as the bike had sat for a year. Do I need to run some type of cleaner through the next tank of gas I put in? I am also needing a new battery (any ideas on best bargain for a new one)? I did however, just get past the biggest hurdle, which was getting some keys made off the tumbler and picking them up tomorrow morning! But would be grateful if any of you out there can give some advice to above questions. Also need to come up with a replacement right hand brake as it was broke off when previous owner dropped the bike.
Thanks for all your help and info!
I cannot wait to get this bike fired up and ride! :eek:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

Thanks Pat..
The seafoam you are talking about is that something that can only be purchased at a bike store or any automotive store. Yea I am changing plugs and battery as well. When you say Amsoil..any clue on what weight of oil to use?
I am a 31 yr single mom of three young boys, who just purchased this bike and cannot wait to ride! I will get pictures up soon. I got the bike torn down right now. Hoping to get it fired up maybe over this holiday weekend and put it back together then I will get some pics up for all to see!
Thanks again for your knowledge :)

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
seafoam can be purchased at most major auto part chains

oil threads are crazy here. bottom line a good quallity oil changed at proper and reqular intervals, if you cant afford synthetic, a good name brnad dyno oil

i run mobil 1 20W50 in my v2k and 10W40 in the 14,

not shell rotella syn is great for bikes too...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for all your help and information. Very grateful. When you say service manual? Something else can be purchased or that I just keep track of what I am doing? Just curious..

I will check out the seafoam and so a 20w is a good one for the bigger bikes, then? I have to ask a dumb question, what are you meaning by syn oil? Is that a mixture or something or just diff type? So basically the bikes can take the same type of oil as a car, just watch the weight of oil and change regular, like how many miles before a change is good?
Sorry for the silly questions, but just want to do right by my new investment and want it to run good...since nothing came with the bike.
thanks

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
pat...i have to ask, why is your bike in pieces right now? Hopefully it was volunatarily? :)
Winter up grades and maintenance.

As for oil. In the cooler temps I am not sure you would want to use 20w 50. But I don't know what your bike calls for. I would think 10w 40 for this time of year.

If you have a wet clutch. meaning your clutch is in the engine oil you don't want to use just any car oil. It will make your clutch slip. Syn is synthetic oil versus conventional.

The service manual tells you how to tear things apart.:mrgreen:

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
If you have a "wet" clutch....

YES you have a wet clutch...anyone who doesnt know that and has over 3K posts....

There is a HUGE debate over car vs specific M/C oil

I have run Mobil 1 in bikes for 30 yrs with ZERO issues...

I run Mobil 1 20W50 car oil in my V2K no issues
I run 10W40 Mobil 1 or 5W40 Shell Rotella Syn in my ZX14 again no issues
I run Mobil 1 10W40 in my GV650
I ran 10W40 Mobil 1 in my CBR600RR
I ran 10W40 Mobil 1 in my ex250 ninja

all car oils all bikes over 25K mi in one year and ZERO problems

I have run amsoil and mobil 1 in my CB650SC, Cb700S, ELR1000, FZ750, VN750 etc all with no issues....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow! Ok now guys.. no need to get hasty. :)
I appreciate all the advice. Any ideas where I might get a service manual for my 1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic, do I need to find a dealer in my area or something?
Thanks again to both of your for all your great information.
Hope all of you have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday with your families.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
for the manual,

search google, may find a free download. I got my v2k download for like 6 bucks..

for pat0021...no offense was intended, was all in jest...but yes your Vulcan 900 has a wet clutch..

and I too am a Navy vet....

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
for the manual,

search google, may find a free download. I got my v2k download for like 6 bucks..

for pat0021...no offense was intended, was all in jest...but yes your Vulcan 900 has a wet clutch..

and I too am a Navy vet....
Ok thanks. I knew my bike does. I assumed hers did just wasn't sure. Wouldn't want to mislead someone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just wanted to say..thanks guys for all your help. I was able to get my hands on a spec sheet for my bike thru a local dealer the next town over. Also got some pricing on some parts..
FYI- my bike DOES have a wet clutch. :eek:)

Hope all of you had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday and Thanks again for all the info..

·
The Bassman Rocketh
25,244 Posts
Ok thanks. I knew my bike does. I assumed hers did just wasn't sure. Wouldn't want to mislead someone.
I know exactly where you are coming from! I am not a mechanic so I tend to offer very little in the way of mechanical-type advice. At best, I can merely share my experiences :)

Although, I must admit, the longer I hang out here, the more I learn

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
Also,

make sure you have all the bolts and fasteners toque checked by someone who knows how...the dealer will charge you waaaaaay toooooo much!

and TIRE PRESSURES...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.