Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently bought a 1994 zx9r, it ran fine but yesturday I drained and cleaned the rad, put it back together and started it up.

Ran fine for about 3-4 min then I stalled it (let off the choke to quick, hasn't been running in about a 2 weeks or so) After that I could not get it to fire back up again.

It seem to be getting fuel and everything seems to be working, but when I try to start it it just cranks and tries to turn over but won't catch. After a couple tries the bike will back fire really loud but still won't start.

I am out of ideas if anybody knows anything or has an idea please let me know

Thanks for the help :-D

Shawn

·
Registered
915 Posts
is your idel set right? cuz tahts the sound of it to me if your idels too low the bike wont even start i know thats the problem i had with my bike also try to start it with choke if it wont start with choke then u have a diffrent problem maybe a gaskept, or carb problem, but try it with your choke on again and if it stays tehn turn teh idle knob up so the rpms go up then slowly let off the choke then adjust your idle to 1700-2k or where ever u want it to be set at

·
Registered
915 Posts
uhmm brb lemme get my haynes and see wat it might be

oook heres a list for u some good some bad well all bad but some easier than others
from your description it could be
-no spark or weak spark*** (***=main catagory)
-ignition switch off
-engine kill switch off
-battery voltage low
-sparkplug dirty
-spark cplug cap not making contact
-ic igniter defective
-pickup coil defective
-ignition coils defective
-ignition or engine kill switch shorted out
-broken wires
-compression low***
- spark plug loose
-cyclender head not properly tightened
-improper valve clearence
-cylander or piston worn
-piston ring to cylanger too excessive
-cylander head gasket damagedcylander head warped
-valve spring broken
-valve not sealing properly
-stalls after starting***
-improper choke action
-ignition malfunction
-carb malfunction
-fuel contaminated
-intake air leak
0idel speed incorrect
-rough idel***
- ignition malf.
-idle speed in correct
-carbs not synced
-carb malf.
-fuel contaminated
-intake air leak
- air cleaner clogged

ok thats a whole list but if i had to guess clean out the fuel pump, change plugs ,and check the air filter and tehn try it it might be plugs b.c they are fouled is my guess after thinking about it b/c rich mixture for 1 fouls plugs and 2 makes a bike backfire so check plugs and after that change idel speed if thats bad

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
does it backfire WORSE with the choke on? I just went through this with my EX500. mine was too rich on the fuel mixture. if yours is the same problem its a simple fix.

·
AMA NRA LIBERTARIAN
723 Posts
I would take a plug out, if it is wet then you flooded your motor.
If your motor is flooded I would take all the plugs out and turn off the
fuel. If your plugs need replaceing now is the time. I can't recall if there
are a few bikes out there where if you run the starter without the plugs
in them it will hurt somthing electrical, so to be on the safe side I
hook up the plugs to the wires and lay the plugs on the engine so they
can spark while you turn the motor over to air out the cylander.Also this
tells you if you have spark and gas. (legal disclaimer follows)

But thats how I do it don't try this at home cause you may ignite
the vapors and start a fire. Bottom line is my theory is you
fouled your plugs and your cylander's are too wet to fire up.
I may be wrong its just a guess. Good luck . P.S. you may
have a petcock that does not shut off. So you may have to
pinch off your fuel line if you decide to air our your cylanders.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the petcock and the tank all sitting on my floor right nowso I know it shuts off. I was trying to remove the spark plus but don't have a long enough tool to, I will work on it this week ( as I work also) and if I can't fix it then I may have to spend some money and try to get it fixed :icon_frow

·
Registered
915 Posts
dont spend money for such a simple problem

bikes are like refrigerators they never die .... ever unless u force them to handel much more than they want to

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am having a similar problem.

My bike, (a 2003 ninja 500) no longer starts, but just cranks and backfires.

This is also after I removed and cleaned the radiator. I was planning to pull it apart tonight when i get some time and check out the spark plugs, so We'll see...

what would it be about removing and cleaning the radiator that might cause this? That might be a good reason why the manual says to service the radiator, take it in....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Leitnin said:
I am having a similar problem.

My bike, (a 2003 ninja 500) no longer starts, but just cranks and backfires.

This is also after I removed and cleaned the radiator. I was planning to pull it apart tonight when i get some time and check out the spark plugs, so We'll see...

what would it be about removing and cleaning the radiator that might cause this? That might be a good reason why the manual says to service the radiator, take it in....
Put in new plug...should be fine. Thats all I had to do and it fixed everything. It would have nothing to do with the rad, but could be your plugs were already fouled and when you tried to start it again, it fouled your plugs even more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
ended up just being oil on the plugs...cleaned em off with cherry vodka (smirnoff is good for something)

starts right up.

only problem is i can't find the bleed screws to get the air out of the radiator....any help. its a 2003 ninja 500

1 - 11 of 11 Posts