Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can any one tell me if i need a new cdi box. because i think my cdi box a gone on my kx 85 . so i toke the hd cap off of the spark plug and holded it agenst the top bolit on the top head and it did not spark. do i need a new cdi box if not please help me ?

·
Knows more than he needs
190 Posts
can any one tell me if i need a new cdi box. because i think my cdi box a gone on my kx 85 . so i toke the hd cap off of the spark plug and holded it agenst the top bolit on the top head and it did not spark. do i need a new cdi box if not please help me ?
Have you tried installing a new plug and/or plug cap?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could be a bad stator, bad coil, bad kill switch, bad wiring, etc. Theres a lot more to it than the CDI.
well i just washed me bike. and went to kick it and would not start . so i toke the spark plug out to see if it will spark then and it didnt. so i toke the cap off of the hd leed and rested it agenst 1 of the boit so i can see if it sparked but it didnt? and its was running before.

·
Registered
917 Posts
cdi rarely go bad and people often replace them cause they are easy to get to? I see this reaction with the secondary coil and plug wire.

stator coils (interaction with flywheel) produce spark. The stator coils can be tested with an OHM meter at the wiring harness connector.

Things often can go wrong in between- corrosion, short, bad ground, bad wire, disconnected wire, bad kill switch, bad plug cap.

Did you wash it with a high pressure power washer?

·
Registered
13 Posts
no i had the same problem try to get a new sparkplug boot where you stick the tip of the plug in and if that doesnt fix it then you need a new electrode wire that goes to your cdi box its like 39.99 and that should fix it and if that doesnt then you need a new cdibox and thats 539.99 the cheapest ive seen for a kx 85

·
Registered
917 Posts
no i had the same problem try to get a new sparkplug boot where you stick the tip of the plug in and if that doesnt fix it then you need a new electrode wire that goes to your cdi box its like 39.99 and that should fix it and if that doesnt then you need a new cdibox and thats 539.99 the cheapest ive seen for a kx 85
You mean spark plug wire that runs between the secondary coil and the spark plug cap? Never heard of an electrode wire the goes to the CDI box. I have cut the spark plug wire to re-thread it before.

And most likely he does not need a new cdi box. Why would you tell him that?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cdi rarely go bad and people often replace them cause they are easy to get to? I see this reaction with the secondary coil and plug wire.

stator coils (interaction with flywheel) produce spark. The stator coils can be tested with an OHM meter at the wiring harness connector.

Things often can go wrong in between- corrosion, short, bad ground, bad wire, disconnected wire, bad kill switch, bad plug cap.

Did you wash it with a high pressure power washer?
its not that poer full but ya . do u think its my cdi box

·
Registered
917 Posts
i already said CDI boxes and secondary coils rarely go bad.

Water may have gotten in the wiring connectors or in the stator cover.

The easiest and cheapest thing to do is to check all connections, wiring, plug cap, ect. Also an OHM test of stator is free if you have a multimeter electrical tester. Often people find a loose wire or something minor.

Water and electricity do not mix. The powerwasher may have caused the problem by knocking a wire loose or forcing water into a connector or causing corrosion. Get some dielectric grease too if you dont have some.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.