Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Here is the back story. Working on a buddy's 95 vn800 that had been sitting for a while. Pulled the carb and cleaned it, also added a new carb kit. replaced the vacuum diaphragm as well. The plugs look new. I can only get it to run while spraying something like gas or starting fluid straight in the carb. Was thinking low compression or something. Any ideas would GREATLY be appreciated!馃槉

Registered
If it starts when you spray gas into the Carb, this means it's not getting gas. Check that the fuel line is dispensing gas. It is a vacuum operated fuel petcock, it needs suction to get the gas to flow. You can check the hose attached (not the fuel line, and disconnect the fuel line, add a drain line to the petcock, so the gas from the tank has somewhere to go, put the fuel valve on all 3 settings, "Run Reserve, and Pri" (Prime) if it has it. If it flows only on prime, then your petcock is vacuum operated. You can suck on the hose attached to it to see it you can get the fuel to flow. If the fuel flows, then the problem is in the Carb. Probably something that clogged the main jet. I know you said you rebuilt it, but there are steps you need to follow. I'd start at the source, the fuel tank, and go from there. It may be something as simple as the vacuum line from the petcock. The pictures I see of it show the vacuum hose on the bottom of the fuel source selector, on the petcock. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts