Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a 1999 220 bayou. The problem is it starts and idles but if you throttle it up it sluggish, kinda reminds me that the timing is off. If you put it in gear it will hardly move. What concerns me is the valve train sounds very noisy. the owner said he had a cam put in it about a year ago. I have more experience with suzuki"s but i noticed online that he cam is supported by two roller bearings. Are these prone to fail. I want this bike for my boy and I am not worried to much about repairing it myself but I would feel better if i had some more input. The bike is spotless otherwise. he is asking $600.00

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
The 220 Bayou is pretty much trouble free. The biggest problem they have is user neglect because they just about run forever and people tend to ignore what works.

I would do a compression test and if it fails walk away. If it passes, then look into some of the areas below.

They have a cam chain adjuster that requires periodic attention, and if that is not done the shoes that ride and keep the chain adjusted wear excessively and then create noise and cam timing problems that are difficult to find. This will allow the timing chain to jump a tooth or two, and then your power is zip.

They also have a compression release that if the spring gets improperly installed, left out, or broken will result in rattling that sounds as if the top end is coming apart.

They also have a woodruff key on the flywheel that strips if the rig is ridden at speed then the brakes locked up so it slides into the corners. A kid thing, and we all did it when we were younger, but what it does is slow the engine quickly while the flywheel keeps trying to roll along and the woodruff key snaps. Easy and cheap fix, and if you own one of these and have not replaced the key then you are not riding it hard at all.

Usually problems with performance or power at speed is simply a dirty carburetor or plugged inlet screen in the fuel tank.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info. i bet it jumped time because it still starts. Just wantec to get some info so i dont buy a basket case.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am so on the fence on this one, i no i can get it for 500.00 . The bike is in perfect condition, no cracked plastic, good tires etc. I guess i could part it out and still get my money back if its junk.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts