Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to purchase my first new bike. I have zero experience with motorcycles and am 6 feet tall and 260 lbs. I like the looks and price of the 04 vulcan 800 classic and was wondering if this bike is big enough for me. I won't be doing any two up riding and was wondering if this has enough power and size for my heigh/weight or should I move up to the 1500 or 1600 classic. I just don't want to get a bike thats too big for my experience or one that is too small for my size. Thanks!!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

welcome ramblinwreck :wink:

the 800 is quite capapble of pulling you around and would make a great starter bike
for your first ride-very nimble machine,and comfortable also.you can find used ones
pretty easy for a good price,bestt thing to do is sit on a few bikes and check the seat
position and see what feels good.

good luck and ride safe

·
Registered
837 Posts
:D welcome to the forum ramblinwreck.the 800 will suit you just fine but the 1500 or 1600 will carry you better.you will get used to either bike quick and will want more power the more you drive it.im glad i chose the 1500 but will upgrade next year to the big meanie :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
800 classic

ramblinwreck. I'm a big guy kike you and I find the 800 has all the power I need. The 1500 means you never need to shift in town. 2nd gear will do it all for you. I guess if I had it to do over I would get the 1500. But I am very happy on top my 800. mexico drifter

·
Registered
41 Posts
Need help with decision!!!

Ramblinwreck, I highly recommend starting with the 800 - it is plenty powerful and will keep you out of a lot of trouble that you might get into with a heavier, more powerful bike. For more help with a decision like this, check out www.beginnerbikes.com - it is the ultimate website for information for new (or returning) riders.

BTW, strongly recommend taking the MSF course before you actually buy a bike - you will learn a lot and the information you receive will help you make a more informed decision on your first bike.

Good luck - Kawi makes a great machine!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

looks like me and bud8fan are gonna have some scoots fo' sale :lol:
i'm moving to a hot rod metric bike next year too :twisted:

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Please someone explain to me what the attraction of the meanie is ?

I'm presently a cruiser guy but am thinking about upgrading to a better performing bike, more power, better handling, powerfull brakes, etc....

No V-Twin cruiser even comes close to these carateristics. Is it a wardrobe thing ? IMHO the only cruisers that fit the bill have more than 2 cylinders, Honda's very affordable four cylinder magna or Honda's surprisingly nimble 6 cylinder Valkyrie or how about Triumph's new Rocket lll ( 140hp, 147 lbs/ft torque,quarter mile under 11 sec, top speed 143 mph ).

Maybe I'm missing something if so let me know.

·
Registered
837 Posts
:D thats it for me bob,just the attraction and a little more power along with a not too bad price tag. 8) its just a great lookin cruiser although those other cruisers mentioned are nice too.i can say im just a kawajunkie :)

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

like bud8fan i'm just a big kawasaki fan-i think its just styling for me,the really clean look of the hot rod bikes and features that they are offering(dual disc,shaft,fuel injection) are what's attracting me-however i want performance too and the meanie is the weakest of the lot in this class so i'm still undecided about it-i'm still leaning towards the vtx honda actually,i've riden it twice and i like it more each time(1300) but the meanie (1600) just has a look and feel i have trouble resisiting-maybe i should just go stage 3 on the sporty and call it a day :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Not anti Meanstreak just curious as to why the bike a been elevated to cult status.

V-Twin power king is a Kawasaki the new 2000cc ( V-Rod as more power but it's basically a drag bike, fine in a straight line but most roads have a curve or two)

·
Registered
487 Posts
Bob as a meanstreak rider that has ridden several other bikes, the meanstreak is so well balanced that it is a blast to ride cruising or in the twisties. power isn't everything. a bike that will haul my fat carcass at over 100mph gracefully is all I need. it's all about the ride not the power.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Please someone explain to me what the attraction of the meanie is ?
It didn't hurt that I read a bunch of reviews that raved about it, nor did it hurt that it came out on top in Motorcycle Cruiser's 2002 Big Twin shootout.

But for me, it's the fact that it's a cruiser that handles like a sportbike. I can't handle the riding position on a sportbike, but I like the way they handle. I don't need a rocket-powered motorcycle - the speed limit (or a few over) is fast enough for me. If I just wanted speed, I'd get a V-Max. I don't drag race, on tracks or at stoplights, so being quick off the line and doing an 11 or 12 second quarter mile is just not one of my requirements. The Mean Streak lets me sit in the more comfortable (for me) cruiser position, but gives me great handling and stopping abilities. It's also got a big enough engine that I can cruise forever at highway speeds without rattling my fillings. It's got tubeless radial tires, shaft drive, and fuel injection (a big plus for me up here in the mountains). If I wanted to, I could put an air kit and different pipes on it and bump the hp up to near 100. Plus it is (to me) the sexiest looking bike on the market! Put all that together, and what more could you possibly want in a motorcycle?

:D

·
Registered
324 Posts
The meanstreak to me is more like a hybrid cruiser. It's frame is an adapted cruiser frame and it but has been adapted to feel more sporty. Larger and better brakes, upsidedown forks, bigger valves, larger fuel injection system and slightly lower gearing. It still has a low seat height and semi-forward facing pegs. basically a cruiser designed to go round corners and stop better than any other cruiser. The perfect in between bike.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts