Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having trouble recognizing what these parts are. The lower one looks like a little toggle switch but it pushes in and comes back out like it's got some pressure behind it. The upper thing is just a tube coming from the carb area, maybe a condensation drip? Any hints?

·
Registered
101 Posts
The picture above looks just like the sidestand switch, which stops the engine if you put the gear on with your sidestand down. Try moving your sidestand and you'll see the switch moving in and out. The tube instead looks like it's coming from the battery. Try to rout it up and clarify where it comes from. Or might be the fuel tank overfill tube. I can't come up to any else. Tell where it comes from and I might know better.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To clarify, the little switch thingy is just dangling. It looks like it belongs somewhere but isnt secured. These pics are taken with the sidestand down. The tube could be a battery evacuation tube to let any vapors maybe coming from the carb or battery area to escape. That was what I thought initially anyway. I'll take the seat off this evening and see what I can find. Thanks for that tip.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
TUBE/HOSE

When you find out what the tube/hose is I would consider getting one a little longer wheter it is gas or battery overflow. Neither one of them should be that short and release liquid or vapors till well underneath the engine and frame... Then too start your bike and see if when you put it in gear, with the kickstand down the bike dies...if it DOESN'T then the switch thingy could be the sidestand safety switch...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I probably didn't mention that it's a 1998 Ninja 250. I've started the bike with the side stand down but haven't put it in gear. I'll try that tomorrow when I see it next. Should be able to determine the routing of the mystery tube as well. thanks guys

·
Registered
456 Posts
Well, now that we know that it's a 250 Ninja we can get somewhere.

The switch is definitely the sidestand switch. I attached a photo of mine to show you what it looks like when it's properly installed. Let me know if you need a better picture. When the switch is released (like it is on your bike right now) the engine can run. When you press in the button (by putting down the side stand) the switch kills your engine if you're in gear and the clutch is released. The bike will run fine as is, but you may want to fix it anyway, especially if it just needs to get screwed back on.

These switches fail sometimes, and when they do some people bypass the switch rather than fix it. That may be what the previous owner did with this one.

As for the tube, I'm not sure. That will take a little more looking.
Curt

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I took some of the plastics off today and tried to find out where that tube goes. It looks like it's been yellowed by gas fumes, and it seems to go up behind (toward airbox) the carb. Think maybe it's a vacuum hose that should be from the carb to the crank case or tranny? Also I took off the seat and noticed the little hose leading from the extreme rear of the gas tank was cut. I fixed that easily, is that just the return? The switch is indeed the side stand kill switch, one of the two mounting tabs has been broken off. I think I can secure it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I can't think of any vacuum hoses going from the crankcase/tranny to carbs. I know a hose coming from the battery can become slightly yellow or brown during years... But tell if you find the solution.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts