Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna be doing some work on my 1998 zx9,although i've never really worked on bikes, I would be interested in learning how to tune up my bike and clean my own Carbs amongst many other do it yourself's in order to save from the expensive dealer rates if someone can help me also changing the brakes. My cousin scared me when she had to go get her GSXR tuned up and they charged her like $150 per carb :shock: , i've messed around with cars, but of course definitely not the same. I'd appreciate everyone's feedback :-D

·
Registered
522 Posts
ZX9s are not too bad to work on so you'll fare ok. If you've got a manual it'll be a doddle if you take your time and the workings of a car are not too far removed from bikes, it's mostly packaging. Taking photos as you go along might help.

You'll be overwhelmed with help on here if owt trips you up, but search any number of threads for carb strip/assembly/set-up and cleaning advice.

Valve-clearance checks can be fiddly but do-able, cams have to come out to change shims (if it's a ZX9RC1 not a B4 in which case they don't).

When you say changing the brakes do you mean the complete calipers being swapped or changing pads?

The 6-pot brakes need a fair bit of loving care to be at their best and avoid a lot of play at the lever. If the calipers need a good clean or overhaul then it's best to check that no seals are trying to escape past the pistons (common problem), strip all pistons out and renew any bad seals, clean all seal-grooves thoroughly with a copper/wooden scraper then rebuild with
plenty of red rubber-grease. they'll serve you well then.

Post up with any specific problems as you come to them, good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Regarding the brakes, do you think that it's wise to change the calipers or not? Also how much do you think that a valve adjustment would probably cost on it? I totally appreciate all of your advice :mrgreen:

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Regarding the brakes, do you think that it's wise to change the calipers or not? :
It is easier if you post with a specific problem than in generalties. If you are having brake problems, describe the symptoms and there are a lot of people on here that can help you out with the repair.

If you plan on doing your own repairs, a shop manual is a must!

·
Registered
522 Posts
If the brakes are really grotty with corroded pistons and seals poking out all o'er then possibly, still worth stripping 'em first though.

If they clean up and maybe only a couple of seals showing (hopefully none) then no, refurbish 'em :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts